A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:18:16 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Race Riot memorial  (Read 2319 times)
perspicuity85
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:36:22 am »

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A18517

"As a result of the National Park Service's reconnaissance survey, the memorial and museum might be designated a National Park by the agency."

It's about damn time one of the worst acts of racial violence in US history is acknowledged.  This could be the catalyst the Greenwood area needs to continue redevelopment efforts.  

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:13:20 am »

That would be nice, that come with any money?
tim huntzinger
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:38:47 am »

Anyone else out there a complete loser and hear what KFAQ called the race riot on Saturday night's newscast? It was called a 'melee' that 'killed dozens.'  Should we follow their lead and request it be called the 1921 Melee Memorial?  How disgraceful to demean the losses that way . . .
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:40:26 am »

KFAQ: Standing up for what's ratings?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:28:17 am »

While I hope a nice memorial is constructed (federal funding would be nice), I highly doubt anything else will come of it.

"Oh look a statue, lets get our community back on track!"

Sad, but much of the North Side community is more concerned with looking cool to their friends than finishing school, getting a decent job, or doing anything with their lives.  Nothing different than most kids... except too many of them are not being nudged into the right direction.    I'm far too ignorant on this topic to know what the root of the problem is, but I doubt a new statue will correct it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
perspicuity85
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:32:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

While I hope a nice memorial is constructed (federal funding would be nice), I highly doubt anything else will come of it.

"Oh look a statue, lets get our community back on track!"

Sad, but much of the North Side community is more concerned with looking cool to their friends than finishing school, getting a decent job, or doing anything with their lives.  Nothing different than most kids... except too many of them are not being nudged into the right direction.    I'm far too ignorant on this topic to know what the root of the problem is, but I doubt a new statue will correct it.

I don't think anyone is expecting the physical statue alone to motivate people to improve their neighborhoods.  However, it does assist in providing a sense of community.  It's also a geographical connection between the north side and the rest of the city.  The state of the north side cannot improve until the level of segregation diminishes.  As long as the north side remains cut off from the rest of the city, its marginalized residents will continue to fail to see beyond the low-expectations and drug culture so prevalent within their local boundaries.  This monument is a step in the right direction in reacquainting North Tulsa with the rest of the city, and providing closure for crimes of humanity committed 86 years ago that many Tulsa residents are still not aware of.  My hope is that a Greenwood renaissance coupled with Langston's nearby campus will become anchors for a higher level of expectation within the North Tulsa community.

rwarn17588
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 12:48:28 pm »

Tim wrote:

Anyone else out there a complete loser and hear what KFAQ called the race riot on Saturday night's newscast? It was called a 'melee' that 'killed dozens.'

<end clip>

Well, there *were* dozens, um, of dozens of lives lost. So I guess they're kinda sorta technically accurate. [xx(]

KFAQ won't get many style points for clarity, however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org