A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:09:28 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Place to live....  (Read 7824 times)
mv_princess
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »

Anyone know of a place for rent, for under $1000 with a yard that will take pets?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:37:40 am »

Ouch~ That's a tuff one. Have you thought about just buying a home? Tulsa homes are great bargans these days. A place that takes pets for $1,000 & under is drawing a blank in my brain. If you can spend over $1,000 I know a few places in mid-town & south Tulsa, have you thought about a mobile home rental? That may be your best bet if you don't wanna buy. Maybe some other posters will have some ideas, or  check Tulsa apartments on-line. Sorry it's about the best I can do.[B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
cks511
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:50:20 am »

With caution I will tell you to search http://perryproperties.net  

They usually have houses or duplexes with small yards and they allow almost any type of animal(s).  The properties are in mid-town, downtown and in some very good 'hoods.  At 13th and Jackson they just rented a two bedroom house with yard and carport for $800/month.

The HUGE downside is you will have little to no maintenance, you will get disconnect notices for utilites perry is to pay and your rent will go up every year or semi-annually when you renew....if you renew.

Tulsa Cottages are a little high end but excellent maintenance and very hands-on owners.  In the past they did not allow dogs but now they do but you will pay a big deposit for your animals.  
http://www.tulsacottages.com/

Bricker & Association Realtors (918-665-8480) also have houses and duplexes in midtown and downtown. I know they let some have dogs.  Maintenance issues and disconnects are non-existant with them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:54:08 am by cks511 » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:58:13 am »

You SHOULD be able to find a house to rent around town for that amount of money.  Though many do not take pets they can be persuaded to if you are willing to pay $950 a month instead of $850 or leave a larger deposit (Section 8 pays $850 for a 3  bedroom last I heard - which would preclude the nicer areas of town).  Pets generally result in more cleanup costs for the land lord, so you can't blame them... but it still sucks.

So you should be able to keep your pet with you for under $1000, but you'll have to sacrifice location and probably some amenities.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mv_princess
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:25:47 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

Ouch~ That's a tuff one. Have you thought about just buying a home? Tulsa homes are great bargans these days. A place that takes pets for $1,000 & under is drawing a blank in my brain. If you can spend over $1,000 I know a few places in mid-town & south Tulsa, have you thought about a mobile home rental? That may be your best bet if you don't wanna buy. Maybe some other posters will have some ideas, or  check Tulsa apartments on-line. Sorry it's about the best I can do.[B)]

The only problem with buying is that I am pretty sure we don't have enough for a down payment. Or credit just yet.
I can't find any decent mobile homes...or websites that show them
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:25 am »

Have you tried Craigslist?
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/apa/
mv_princess
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:11:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Bones013

Have you tried Craigslist?
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/apa/

Been all over it. lol Just not getting anywhere fast.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:08:33 am »

You should be able to find what you need within your price range.  Be ready to shell out big bucks for deposits(likely per animal).  If they don't say 'no pets', but are leery when you mention the animal, then offer to pay a deposit.  Its tough to find places using the classifieds/craigslist/apartment guides unless you are willing to pay too much or go with some sleazy property manager like Perry Properties.  Drive around mid-town and look for signs.  Try to find places that don't have carpet.  I would bet that you could find what you need for $700 to $800.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:23:53 pm by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
abryant
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 12:41:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mv_princess

Anyone know of a place for rent, for under $1000 with a yard that will take pets?

Not sure about price but right across the street from us (Houston Ave and 13t on SW corner).  Rent sign in yard.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:43 pm »

quote:

Why are you even giving advice to someone wanting to rent in Tulsa?   You live in Columbus , Ohio.   You have not lived in Tulsa since the late 70's.    You don't know what the local market is like.   You remind of of that character Cliff on "Cheers".   The know it all that knows nothing.   [Sad!]

Trust but verify
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:02 pm »

Never, ever rent from Perry Properties!  Slumlord deluxe.  Doesn't pay his own utility bills.  Does not perform basic maintenance or provide basic services.  DOES raise the rent on a regular basis.

I once rented a duplex that he bought after I'd signed the lease.  It was like pulling teeth to get anything done.  (The gutters had little trees growing in them...I eventually climbed up on the roof and cleaned them out myself.  Years later, I noticed that a tree fell on the roof of that property.  It sat there for several months before anything was done!)  

Perry Properties also owns an apartment building right next to one I lived in.  The Perry Properties tennants were always putting their trash in our bin b/c he wouldn't pay to provide enough trash bins for the number of occupants in his buildings.  (Eventually, my landlord just paid for a larger bin, so we wouldn't have PProp's garbage overflowing all over the our driveway!)

In Tulsa, you should be able to find something for under $1000.  The pet thing makes a difference depending on the kind of pet.  Some places won't let you have a dog over a certain weight.  Some places are anti-cat.  If you find a place that you like, it helps if you can provide references from previous landlords who can vouch for you and your pet.  You'll also usually pay an extra "pet deposit" as someone mentioned above.

I had great luck with Bailey Foristell as a property manager.  One time my refrigerator went out.  They replaced it the same day I called.  They have a website with a lot of affordable places in midtown.  You might check it out.
cks511
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 06:24:57 am »

+ 1 Bailey Foristell
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 03:46:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by unreliablesource

quote:

Why are you even giving advice to someone wanting to rent in Tulsa?   You live in Columbus , Ohio.   You have not lived in Tulsa since the late 70's.    You don't know what the local market is like.   You remind of of that character Cliff on "Cheers".   The know it all that knows nothing.   [Sad!]

I know alot about "T" Towne. I'm there offten. I was just giving my advice. I do know that North Tulsa is a place to avoid. [Sad!]

Steve
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 05:38:24 pm »

I don't know about your work location etc., but check the square mile area from 21st to 31st St, Yale to Sheridan.  This square mile is almost entirely residential moderately priced homes.  (I own/live in this area.)  You should be able to find a rental property, at the least 2/3 bedroom 1 bath 1 car garage with a fenced back yard, for around $850/month, maybe less.  And you couldn't ask for a better location, smack in the geographic center of Tulsa with easy access to all major freeways.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:40:56 pm by Steve » Logged
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 10:01:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

I don't know about your work location etc., but check the square mile area from 21st to 31st St, Yale to Sheridan.  This square mile is almost entirely residential moderately priced homes.  (I own/live in this area.)  You should be able to find a rental property, at the least 2/3 bedroom 1 bath 1 car garage with a fenced back yard, for around $850/month, maybe less.  And you couldn't ask for a better location, smack in the geographic center of Tulsa with easy access to all major freeways.

WoW that is cheap surprised it's only $850.00 there. Don't forget the place has to allow pets, most pet places charge extra and could bump up the price to over $1,000.00[xx(]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org