A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:49:24 pm
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump  (Read 243607 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #540 on: October 08, 2016, 09:54:48 am »

“It is an honor to be named to Trump’s National Security Advisory Council, and I look forward to contributing to how a Republican administration, along with a Republican-majority in Congress, can rebuild our nation’s military and America’s standing in the world. Trump is a proven effective negotiator who I believe will follow through on his promise to make our military great again."

-- Jim Inhofe

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2016, 10:17:36 am »

In fairness (to myself) I said that at the beginning of the downward trend for Trump. I think it would be safe to say that there was a stretch where he was gaining in the polls. Hillary's "super bad week" or whatever it was in particular. I don't remember when that was.

Yeah, it's a lot more difficult to pinpoint 'bad weeks' for her given that Drumpf has them nearly daily now.  Yes, I said daily.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »

Nothing like seeing the words pussy and tits on the front page of the NY Times. What in the hell happened to the GOP? Put Romney or Ryan on the ballot.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #543 on: October 09, 2016, 01:08:59 pm »

Nothing like seeing the words pussy and tits on the front page of the NY Times. What in the hell happened to the GOP?

CNN didnt start bleeping it out till today.

Its interesting to see who still stands behind Mr. you-can-do-anything-to-women.
Insurance Commissioner John Doak:  "Well what about Bill Clinton?"

http://www.fox23.com/news/local-republicans-stand-behind-trump-despite-lewd-comments/455038994

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #544 on: October 09, 2016, 01:51:59 pm »

Okie Republicans are hard to explain. I wanted to say stupid but that's not true, they are just party, right or wrong. No way you can justify calling your daughter a "fine piece of ***". Except in Oklahoma. No way someone says Trump doesn't lie. Except in Oklahoma. We are the epitome of an outlier state.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #545 on: October 10, 2016, 08:57:16 am »

Nothing like seeing the words pussy and tits on the front page of the NY Times. What in the hell happened to the GOP? Put Romney or Ryan on the ballot.

True colors....finally.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #546 on: October 10, 2016, 09:03:22 am »

Okie Republicans are hard to explain. I wanted to say stupid but that's not true, they are just party, right or wrong. No way you can justify calling your daughter a "fine piece of ***". Except in Oklahoma. No way someone says Trump doesn't lie. Except in Oklahoma. We are the epitome of an outlier state.

Goes to the old "rural myth" stories about "GrandpaDaddy"....  Not at all common, but sadly, too often true!!

Trump is probably the most visible incarnation of the concept - saying in public that he would date his daughter.  The only qualifier being that she has the good sense not to indulge, 'cause he would jump on that opportunity in a second, given HIS statements!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #547 on: October 10, 2016, 02:56:09 pm »

I don't understand the Republican Party, but I respect some of their fiscal policy platforms. Oklahoma Republicans, I just don't even remotely understand. It's full of hatred to me.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #548 on: October 10, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »

I don't understand the Republican Party, but I respect some of their fiscal policy platforms. Oklahoma Republicans, I just don't even remotely understand. It's full of hatred to me.

Which fiscal policy platform do you like the best....

The one that creates $1.9 trillion deficits by the end of Baby Bush's regime?

Or the one that gave Baby Bush carte blanche to go fight the wrong war and kill 4,000+ of our kids and squander $4 trillion doing it?  (The only "saving grace" to all that money was that at least Dick Cheney and his cronies got $90 billion in taxpayer money through price gouging and no bid contracts.... so that was good...!)

davideinstein
« Reply #549 on: October 10, 2016, 06:46:59 pm »

Which fiscal policy platform do you like the best....

The one that creates $1.9 trillion deficits by the end of Baby Bush's regime?

Or the one that gave Baby Bush carte blanche to go fight the wrong war and kill 4,000+ of our kids and squander $4 trillion doing it?  (The only "saving grace" to all that money was that at least Dick Cheney and his cronies got $90 billion in taxpayer money through price gouging and no bid contracts.... so that was good...!)

I like their views on individual capital gains taxes, in particular.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #550 on: October 11, 2016, 08:56:21 am »

Why are capital gains taxes any different from income?    It's income.

As for their biggest lie about capital gains - that it "encourages" investment - well, that was debunked decades ago.  NO ONE is gonna stop investing in stuff because they may have to pay tax on an income from that.  The ONLY effect is to get people like hedge fund managers and the corporate "C suite" to buy Congress to let them treat their income as long term capital gain.  The whole idea of carried interest....

Example; if you invested $100 in something that would pay you $200 over a reasonable investment period - stocks, bonds, pawn shop, restaurant - your investment of choice....would you choose not to do that just because taxes were $28% versus 24%??  

Nobody has ever stopped investing because of capital gains tax levels and they never will.  The only thing that may be affected is the investment mix, and that is already taken into account.  

One tax break that does help the economy as a whole is the exemption from capital gains on personal residence.   It does provide at least modest stimulus to the housing industry, which helps a wide variety of people - not just the ones who can afford their own personal Congress.

Otherwise, they are stupid tax breaks for rich people.

Same as eliminating inheritance taxes - stupid tax breaks for rich people.  Especially when considering the millions of dollars exemption to those that is already in place.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #551 on: October 11, 2016, 09:20:44 am »

You want to lower capital gains taxes further so that the rich pay even less? Seriously?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #552 on: October 11, 2016, 02:53:21 pm »

What we are watching now is the very death of the Party of Lincoln. The Republican Party may continue in name, but the fissure that has been created, that Trump is pouring hot lava into with his attacks on party leaders, means that the Republican Party as we have known it for almost  150 years is dead. There can be no healing from this. The long standing pro chamber of commerce conservative party of business leaders and conservative religious values cannot reconcile with Trump’s populist, fact disregarding movement of hate, fear and anger. There are now two distinct “parties” under the tent of the Republican Party, but that tent Is on fire.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2016, 03:54:47 pm »

The evangelicals are split too. Some follow their religious tenets and reject Trumpism while others pursue power at the expense of their integrity.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
davideinstein
« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2016, 04:01:54 pm »

Why are capital gains taxes any different from income?    It's income.

As for their biggest lie about capital gains - that it "encourages" investment - well, that was debunked decades ago.  NO ONE is gonna stop investing in stuff because they may have to pay tax on an income from that.  The ONLY effect is to get people like hedge fund managers and the corporate "C suite" to buy Congress to let them treat their income as long term capital gain.  The whole idea of carried interest....

Example; if you invested $100 in something that would pay you $200 over a reasonable investment period - stocks, bonds, pawn shop, restaurant - your investment of choice....would you choose not to do that just because taxes were $28% versus 24%??  

Nobody has ever stopped investing because of capital gains tax levels and they never will.  The only thing that may be affected is the investment mix, and that is already taken into account.  

One tax break that does help the economy as a whole is the exemption from capital gains on personal residence.   It does provide at least modest stimulus to the housing industry, which helps a wide variety of people - not just the ones who can afford their own personal Congress.

Otherwise, they are stupid tax breaks for rich people.

Same as eliminating inheritance taxes - stupid tax breaks for rich people.  Especially when considering the millions of dollars exemption to those that is already in place.

I personally would reinvest the money I lose to capital gains taxes.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org