A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:21:57 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City to close golf course holes  (Read 14093 times)
TulsaSooner
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 12:34:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

The county takes a different approach to course management than the city.

I play at Mohawk because I can get cheap rates and tee times almost any time I want. It is great because during the afternoons in the summer, the course is wide open.

I play Lafortune when I play with better golfers. The green fees are substantially more and you have to wait on almost every hole because of the number of players, but the course is much better maintained.

I see one or two maintenence people when I play Mohawk, I see ten or twelve people when I play LaFortune. The county spends more money, but charges more money to play.

The county also has more convenient locations with courses midtown and south while the city courses are north and west.

I can see some of that but I've played Woodbine a number of times and I thought it was maintained quite well.  I played Olde Page last week and I thought it was in excellent condition.
Wrinkle
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Please explain how a City who has an anticipated $20 Million PLUS surplus in THIS YEAR'S budget needs to cut anything?

AMP
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2007, 10:29:30 am »

Miller's letter states that it is Tulsa County's responsibility to try to assist the city in any way it can, "since we all work for the Tulsa County taxpayers."

"Like the fairgrounds, we're just there for the community, we're not there to make a profit," she said.

============================================

Thought that MONEY was the bottom line why teh County decided to evict Bells Amusement Park?
AMP
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 10:34:52 am »

Even though is draws some oarticipants and fans from Oklahoma Caney Speedway is located in Kansas.  I have been helping them get things rolling up there.  Long hard battle with all the overgrowth and lack of hard surface in the parking lots.  

Rain is the enemy there, and they have pushed back opening play days three weeks, and cancelled the opening night of racing for two weeks.  

Track may be operational by late May if the rain subsides.
Porky
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2007, 11:00:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

I have been helping them get things rolling up there.  

Your kidding, that is absolutely awesome your helping Ed out. I'll be up there next Saturday and plan on driving out to the track and visiting with  Ed and Dan.

btw.......if you haven't tried it out yet, bring your fishing pole and try out the pond behind turns 1 and 2. There is actually a huge spring that feeds that pond and the fish are huge.

Again, I want to thank you for helping out Ed and Phylis. They are great people and hopefully you all will get the fastest quarter mile dirt track in the midwest up and running again. [Smiley]
Wilbur
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2007, 06:07:07 am »

And now we learn the reason for closing some of the golf courses may have all been because some developer wanted the land and this has been in the works for several, several months.

http://www.chrismedlock.com/2007/05/is-mayors-list-of-possible-developers.html
TulsaSooner
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2007, 07:05:05 am »

Well, I'm convinced.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 07:50:53 am »

1. The courses seem busy to me.

Whenever I have gone to play golf at Mohawk or Paige I have had to wait for a tee time.  Usually not long, but I had to wait.  Where are the numbers indicating that the play volume is "way down?"  If it is down, why and will it go back up?

Closure could be a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

2. Spin Off ventures.

What does the city gain by having these courses.  Do these public courses somehow help us get the PGA events?  Conferences, events or such things?

3. Private Enterprise

If the courses can not break even, then the city should not be involved.  Why not set up a management lease with the courses and assign them to a private enterprise?  A private company would honestly evaluate the fiscal ability of the courses in this market.
---

I hate to see the courses closed.  The city has TONS of money invested in them and has spent more in recent years.  They are well utilized and in good shape.  A way has to be found to secure the assets without throwing them away.

If the development deal turns out to be true, I will be extremely hostile towards our Mayor. Not because I have a particular affinity for the golf courses (which I use maybe 4 times a year), but because she violated procedure to benefit a private company ahead of the city while LYING about it to the public (me).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2007, 04:54:17 pm »

If I understand correctly, wasn't Paige redone with 2001 Third Penny tax money.  And just a few years later, we're going to let all that tax money go to waste?

I'm a very rare golfer.  I don't support the City supporting someone's golf habit.  I'm against golf welfare.  But I don't have a problem with the City providing golf courses as long as they pay for themselves.  Raise the green fees!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2007, 08:02:57 am »

I'm with ya Wilbur!  And yes, yes they did spend tons of money on both Paige AND the MoHawk courses.  The Mohawk courses look damn nice (as soon as the water receeds anyway) with new markers, rock retaining walls, and new bridges.

What will we use the land at Mohawk for if the course closes?  

I think this city administration has visions and acts without planning things out:
what will happen to the gold courses if not in use as golf courses?
What will we do with the city buildings we abandon to go to the new shiny city hall?
Who is going to put asses in the seats at the BOk arena?
Where will those asses spend the night - since there isnt a hotel across the street.
. . .

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 10:13:22 am »

Just received this in my email:

Rally For Page Belcher
Southwest Tulsa Chamber Opposes Closure of 18 Holes

The Southwest Tulsa Chamber of Commerce passed a resolution opposing the closing of 18 holes at Page Belcher Golf Course. Closing of these holes would effect the quality of life for many Tulsans throughout the city. With over 55,000 rounds of golf played this year it is obvious that this facility attracts individuals from across the county. It is expected that with new improvements made possible with a 4.1 million tax package, the course will attract even more in years to come.  Page Belcher is an asset to the Southwest Tulsa area and should be safeguarded against any actions detrimental to its existence.

PLEASE RALLY WITH US
June 6th, 6:00pm at
Page Belcher Golf Course
6666 South Union Ave.
Preserve the beauty of the course. Make your voices heard. Attend the public hearing!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org