A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:22:30 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 41st Street Bridge - Append to Obama's List  (Read 9049 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Why isn't the 41st Bridge in the Mayor's Project List for Obama?

Its obviously been decided that there isnt going to be a 41st bridge any time soon. Say, within the next 20 or 30 years. Perhaps after that. I suppose there is a priority list or an idea of where they are going to be promoting or encouraging growth in the next 20 or so years, What infrastructure/expenses will go in those areas etc. One would expect that there is some far off future scenario where the areas around the refineries and such will be redeveloped... BUT, that scenario is down quite a few notches after getting redevelopment started and going; downtown, north Tulsa, east of downtown, on the west bank near downtown. Once those areas are moving along, then the next logical step may be the refinery area. Who can see what things will be like that far in the future though. Perhaps the run down, crime ridden slums around the old, abandoned, Woodland Hills area will need redeveloping lol.

I was just looking at a map of the city limits, and there is not a whole lot of "Tulsa" over there available for redevelopment. Not when compared to the amount available, and more readily available, to the north and even east. There is a gap between Tulsa and Sand Springs,,, Is that county? Would Tulsa be getting any tax dollars from a business located in that area?  It just seems that at this point a 41st bridge would be a large expense for little return, especially considering the easier "lower hanging fruit" available in other areas.

Yes there likely may be a 41st bridge in our future. But where it is on the list and when that time may be?... obviously not any time soon.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Wrinkle
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:

Its obviously been decided that there isnt going to be a 41st bridge any time soon. Say, within the next 20 or 30 years. Perhaps after that. I suppose there is a priority list or an idea of where they are going to be promoting or encouraging growth in the next 20 or so years, What infrastructure/expenses will go in those areas etc. One would expect that there is some far off future scenario where the areas around the refineries and such will be redeveloped... BUT, that scenario is down quite a few notches after getting redevelopment started and going; downtown, north Tulsa, east of downtown, on the west bank near downtown. Once those areas are moving along, then the next logical step may be the refinery area. Who can see what things will be like that far in the future though. Perhaps the run down, crime ridden slums around the old, abandoned, Woodland Hills area will need redeveloping lol.

I was just looking at a map of the city limits, and there is not a whole lot of "Tulsa" over there available for redevelopment. Not when compared to the amount available, and more readily available, to the north and even east. There is a gap between Tulsa and Sand Springs,,, Is that county? Would Tulsa be getting any tax dollars from a business located in that area?  It just seems that at this point a 41st bridge would be a large expense for little return, especially considering the easier "lower hanging fruit" available in other areas.

Yes there likely may be a 41st bridge in our future. But where it is on the list and when that time may be?... obviously not any time soon.

Spoken like someone who's never driven/seen beyond the refinaries.

Wrinkle
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by swake

Why do you think a 41st Street bridge is needed with one a mile south and another two miles north?

The one south will not be accessible from riverside shortly.

The ramps are going? Wow

Looking at the map, the ramp westbound will be gone, but the one east bound will remain. Granted, the map I'm basing this on is over 3 years old.

Nice. Let's isolate the westside even more. [xx(]

thats slightly melodramatic. its one onramp.

Quite more than subtly effective, however.

waterboy
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:21:05 am »

I don't see a ground swell of disappointment from Westsiders over the 41st street bridge issue. Even when the river proposals were floated it was not a popular component. Benefits don't exceed the cost by much if at all. But then that's true of most bridges over the Arkansas in Tulsa.

My personal opinion is that there are already too many bridges. The mass of concrete between 21st street and the railroad bridge at 11th is ugly, repetitive and unnecessary. A simpler fix would have been the Gilcrease bridge. Now it also seems to be marginally cost/benefit effective. We have bridges across the city and state that need repair just to be safe and we have no business building new ones till we find a way to maintain them all.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:53:29 am »

I would love a 41st street bridge. That would make Reed park so close to Brookside. It would do wonders for redevelopment of the west side of the river.

The bridge would be one of the best things to help Tulsa in my lifetime.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

I would love a 41st street bridge. That would make Reed park so close to Brookside. It would do wonders for redevelopment of the west side of the river.

The bridge would be one of the best things to help Tulsa in my lifetime.

I love Reed Park. Best walking trail in the city -- completely shaded for a pleasant walk even in the heat of the Summer.

And I, too, would welcome a 41st street bridge. I think it could be more of a community bridge if that makes sense. It would link up to Riverside and not an expressway directly and make a less crazy busy crossover than the I-44 bridge. I would even hope for a "No Trucks" restriction for it. And a pedestrian walkway would be nice too. I'd like to see it happen someday.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:28:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

We have bridges across the city and state that need repair just to be safe and we have no business building new ones till we find a way to maintain them all.

While I'm for better connections across the river in the general sense, I have to quote that for truth.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 11:17:55 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:

Spoken like someone who's never driven/seen beyond the refinaries.

I have been over there. By the time you take out the parks and nature preserve, there is probably about 1.5 sq miles worth of developable land over there in the city. We are talking about roughly a triangular chunk of land between I44 and 244. There is barely anything west of 244 before you hit the suburbs and county land.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 12:10:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

There's a park in the way

What Park? You mean the one that was supposed to be finished last September? It needs to be built before it can be in the way.

And so it's not finished...there's a pa in the way.  When it's finished there will be a park in the way.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 01:40:27 pm »

A 41st Street bridge gives the city an opportunity to not only connect 41st on both sides of the river (important thoroughfares on each side) but also to revitalize west Tulsa and eventually the industrial area between US 75 and the river.  It also could be Tulsa's "signature" bridge, something unlike the other Ark. River bridges.  Something like Omaha's new Missouri River bridge would be amazing:

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 03:11:57 pm »

Why not make the bridge take off east of riverside and remove/redesign the 41st and riverside intersection? The bridge could then go above or somewhat north or south of the park to avoid interfering with the park or drainage.

Or George Kaiser could afford to build a tunnel.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 09:10:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

A 41st Street bridge gives the city an opportunity to not only connect 41st on both sides of the river (important thoroughfares on each side) but also to revitalize west Tulsa and eventually the industrial area between US 75 and the river.  It also could be Tulsa's "signature" bridge, something unlike the other Ark. River bridges.  Something like Omaha's new Missouri River bridge would be amazing:

The whining about how much this would cost would go on forever, probably led by Inteller and Bates.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 04:39:07 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

What Park? You mean the one that was supposed to be finished last September? It needs to be built before it can be in the way.

And so it's not finished...there's a pa in the way.  When it's finished there will be a park in the way.

If it's ever finished. The stimulus bill with a 41st St. bridge included could be approved and signed into law before the park is finished at the rate they are going.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:35 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If it's ever finished. The stimulus bill with a 41st St. bridge included could be approved and signed into law before the park is finished at the rate they are going.

The original schedule was silly and everyone knew it lol. Look back at the original thread about it. As soon as they put the due date out, I think sgrizzle said January, I was thinking late Feb, early March.[Tongue]

Why did they put out such an unrealistic time schedule in the first place?... I asked that very same thing on here the day they put that due date out. Anyone who has been around any construction would know when it was really likely to be done. We all knew that there was no friggin way it was going to be done when they said it was lol. Whoooo knows what on earth their reasoning was for saying the time they did.

waterboy
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:40 am »

I think a lot of us underestimate the power of the weather here and the nature of the topography, including the natives. They were actually making pretty good progress till the rains came last fall. That area holds water and slowed them up, meanwhile the window closed.

With all the needs our community has (and this one being privately paid for), one can hardly fault their progress. Nor can we justify spending much time arguing about another bridge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org