A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:40:36 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rural High Speed Internet Access Options?  (Read 7626 times)
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« on: September 13, 2006, 11:23:17 am »

My business's office is located between Owasso and Claremore.  Currently our ISP has to bounce a signal from their main tower to another tower to reach the office which is located in a valley.  This valley seems to be the reason why we can't get our signal directly from the main tower.  Our neighbors, on top of the valley get reliable internet access from the main tower.

At my home in Tulsa, my ISP is as reliable as electricity.  The internet access has gone down only twice in a four-year period.

My company's internet service goes down once or twice a week.  For an hour or more at a time.  I am looking in to switching ISP's.  Cox Cable (which I use at home) and SBC DSL, do not have plans to expand to my office's area.

Has anybody had any experience with AT&T High Speed Internet via Satellite?
http://www.attwb.net

I don't know of anybody has used Satellite Internet service.  I asked AT&T for refernces the guy was not able to give out references.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dana
snopes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:07:44 am »

Dana, I don't know if you've received any help on this, but here's my take. Satellite Internet service is sub par to cable and DSL. It's speed is actually not a whole lot better than dial-up. I know someone that has satellite service and they're waiting on when DSL or cable service is available. However, it is better than no service at all. You can do some research on the Internet regarding satellite Internet service and that should help.

Here's one link.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/internetaccessbestuses/g/bldef_satellite.htm
okiebybirth
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 03:17:17 pm »

I've had satellite internet and the service is poor.  I used Direcway and they had a limit to the bandwidth you could use in a day; not recommended with the requirements of today's world. I know Vaxeo Technologies offers a wireless internet service in Claremore and Atlas Computers is in Owasso.

http://www.vaxeo.com/services/wireless.html

http://www1.atlasok.com/index.php?&MMN_position=1:1
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:34:51 pm »

A co-worker suggested I talk with one of the IT people at one of the big companies at the Tulsa Port of Catoosa.  Surely those companies have reliable internet access.  Thanks for the links.
Birdie5150
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:31:29 am »

You can get Wild Blue SAtellite High Speed Internet Access
Visit this web site for more info
[http://changingshades.homestead.com/WildBlue.html  or call 918-344-5875[8D]b]Text[/b]
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:30:07 am »

AT&T and Wild Blue are the same company.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:57:45 am »

Depending how good a cell signal you get, you might consider that. Existing technologies can usually get around 128kb but newer technologies will be much faster.
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:36:31 pm »

Cell reception is bad here too, sgrizzle.  We have to go outside our office to answer our cell phones.

I've been kinda busy and I haven't been able to make this a priority again.  It's kinda funny when the internet works you forget about it.

I'm not for businesses leaving Tulsa for the countryside.  I consider myself to be an urbanist.  But, if your business has to relocate to the countryside, check the area for high-speed internet connectivity.  If Cable or DSL is not available, you will probably end up going wireless using towers to transmit signals to a radio receiver on your building.  Don't believe the coverage maps that providers show on their websites.  Make sure that they send a person out to your location to manually check for connectivity.  Treat internet connectivity like you would any other utilities.  That my two cents on that subject.

My boss didn't think it would be an issue.  Anybody who has driven on Keetonville Road would know why my boss moved out here.  Its georgeous. The fall colors will be showing here soon (contrary to the maps shown on another thread[Cheesy]) and I'm looking forward to that!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:54:32 pm »

I don't know if anyone is still handling it, but bonded dial-up connections used to be an option. 2-4 individual connections working as one. Webzone used to let you do it (when they existed). 112kbps. woo!
Goodpasture
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:11:54 pm »

I have been using Direcwav for a couple of years (I live west of Keystone Lake) for an appraisal practice, and it beats dial up.....only goes down during heavy rains.....and snow on the dish.

A lot depends on how many computers are involved, and how much is being up/down loaded. upload speeds are far slower than download speeds. WildBlue is supposed to be better than Direcwav...I will know more later cause I just upgraded to the 1.5 meg download (512k upload)

When Integrity Matters
www.oakcrestappraisal.com
Radio
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 06:42:35 pm »

Have you tried Vaxeo in Claremore?  (They
may be who you are already using)

Brad is a good person to deal with.

Brad@vaxeo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org