A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:41:13 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borders Books going bust  (Read 11887 times)
Who Cares
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:07 pm »

Found out today they are closing the store on 21st and the B.A. and leaving town for good.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:18:20 pm »

Found out today they are closing the store on 21st and the B.A. and leaving town for good.

That wasn't part of the original plan, I believe they were going to close 81st & Yale and leave this one open.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Who Cares
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:26:57 pm »

It's on their updated list of closures released today: http://www.bordersreorganization.com/Reorganization_Closure_List_3.17.pdf
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »

I hate to see that, it was convenient and...hmmm.... usually pretty quiet.  Might be a good reason for it closing then Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »

Here is the latest list of all the stores from WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/BordersClose.pdf

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/03/17/borders-closing-more-stores-heres-the-list/

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »

It will be interesting to see if Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million takes its place.  I saw they shuttered their OKC store too but looks like Norman is staying open for now.  That will be the lone Borders in Oklahoma..

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:52:56 pm by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:05:48 am »

It will be interesting to see if Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million takes its place.  I saw they shuttered their OKC store too but looks like Norman is staying open for now.  That will be the lone Borders in Oklahoma..

I don't see any reason for either of those retailers to move into the space.  The B & N and Borders business models in their stores is imperceptible to me, so my assumption is apparently there's more brick and mortar book retailers than needed in the market. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:23:31 am »

WHAT? THEY ARE CLOSING THE BORDERS?

How will I get the good tequila and Canadian Bacon?

Power is nothing till you use it.
dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:35:44 am »

WHAT? THEY ARE CLOSING THE BORDERS?

How will I get the good tequila and Canadian Bacon?

For the tequila, I have this friend, and he......... maybe I should talk about this later  Wink
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:29 am »

You may like what happens on Yale.

21st is a little more difficult. Great visibility and demographics but 2 stories and access issues.

Locals picked up both locations recently from a REIT or a TIC.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:21 am »

21st is a little more difficult. Great visibility and demographics but 2 stories and access issues.

Both locations have good access/visibility and demographics.  Some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Tulsa are within a square mile radius of each location.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:36 am »

So, you think there might be a plan for 21st or will it sit vacant and rot for 5 years?

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 09:39:35 am »

I don't see any reason for either of those retailers to move into the space.  The B & N and Borders business models in their stores is imperceptible to me, so my assumption is apparently there's more brick and mortar book retailers than needed in the market. 

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/03/15/why-borders-failed.html

* "To provide one example, a lower ranked title that sells out in a B&N will be replenished from a central warehouse within 2-3 days. The same process could take up to 16 weeks for Borders"
* I'm not aware of a Border's Nook or Kindle
Border's online store:   let's use Amazon.com to do it for us..  kinda like IBM using Microsoft to develop competing OS   ... gee, why did OS2 fail
* etc
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:46:28 pm »

I would love for the 21st location to remain a bookstore, maybe Books-A-Million would want to open a second Tulsa location? 

Not likely but a local bookstore with cafe would be cool.  Something like the Tattered Cover in Denver:
http://www.tatteredcover.com/

dbacks fan
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:51:43 pm »

I actually spend more time in this place http://bookmans.com/ then B&N. Have done a lot of trade in with them, and it's nice to have a choice of store credit or cash.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org