A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:53:09 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wth is that smell??? smells like NG... ?????  (Read 13035 times)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« on: July 10, 2007, 01:41:05 pm »

riverside up to downtown... smells like natural gas... the refineries must be going nuts... holy crap that is giving me a headache...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
TulsaSooner
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:42:34 pm »

I can smell it in my office building as well.

I'm sure it's perfectly safe.  [B)]

There was a natural gas leak downtown yesterday, haven't heard about anything today.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 01:43:19 pm »

Smells like teen spirit.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaSooner
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:44:33 pm »

I think it's the City Hall mold.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 02:55:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

riverside up to downtown... smells like natural gas... the refineries must be going nuts... holy crap that is giving me a headache...

Thought it was something across the street... Very strong odor of Mercaptan (which rules out natural seepage from rotting vegitation).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:57:40 pm »

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0707/438166.html

Mercaptan leak.

World's largest stink bomb.

Heh.
AMP
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:20 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol

The United States material safety data sheet (MSDS) lists methanethiol as a colorless, flammable gas with an extremely strong and repulsive smell.

At very high concentrations it is highly toxic and affects the central nervous system.

Its penetrating odor provides warning at dangerous concentrations. An odor threshold of 0.002 ppm has been reported.

The United States OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit is listed as 10 ppm.

News 8 reported: "The chemical is harmless and non-toxic."  

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 04:11:51 pm »

Yeah, but you failed to post the most salient paragraph of the Wiki article:

"Methanethiol (also known as methyl mercaptan) is a colorless gas with a smell like rotten cabbage. It is a natural substance found in the blood, brain, and other tissues of people and animals. It is released from animal feces. It occurs naturally in certain foods, such as some nuts and cheese. It is also one of the main chemicals responsible for bad breath and the smell in flatulence. "

No wonder it stinks like s#$t.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 05:43:07 pm »

No f'ing wonder we all had headaches. The smell hit our building and everyone was wondering pancakes what going on. Within 15 minutes most of us had killer headaches.

(&^@#%@#%!!!!
NellieBly
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 09:06:25 am »

You could smell it clear out at 41st and Sheridan.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:10:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

You could smell it clear out at 41st and Sheridan.

I live further away than that and it reached my house.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 09:24:05 am »

They say it stunk all the way over to Jenks. It was also in GlenPool. What the heck is it? was it?[Tongue]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Kingdaddy
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 11:30:59 am »

Funny story regarding that smell...

A couple of years ago my wife an I had just moved to the Brookside area.  We were enjoying a nice glass of vino late one night and decided to sit on the porch.

When we walked out we were slapped in the face by that awful "natural gas" smell.

I called the non-emergency police line and let them know.

10 minutes later we had 2 Tulsa Fire Trucks, sirens blaring, pull up in front of our house!

I went out and said I had called the NON Emergency line and they responded a "gas" smell is not to be taken lightly...

So what WAS that smell???

The fricken refineries across the river.

We told the firefighters we were sorry to have made a mountain out of a molehill, but we were new to the area and had never smelled it before.

Needless to say, we were extremely embarrassed (all of our neighbors came outside), but the firefighters laughed it off and said no problem.

Nice to know how quickly they responded though...[:O][:I][}:)]
waterboy
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 08:40:37 am »

I was around the 101st and Mingo area and I thought a sick dog had pooped near my car. Never smelled refinery stink that far away and I've lived here 5 decades. This was curious.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 10:57:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

I was around the 101st and Mingo area and I thought a sick dog had pooped near my car. Never smelled refinery stink that far away and I've lived here 5 decades. This was curious.

Kind of makes you wonder how we would fare in an actual chemical emergency or attack.

Probably not as well as Homeland Security would like us to believe.  We used to have voice warnings over the siren network when something was wrong, but not now.  Any local station break into programming with this?  And really, how many Tulsan's duct-taped themselves a safe area  inside a hallway while this was happening?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org