A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:59:17 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republican Senator Dick Lugar of Indiana endorses  (Read 1815 times)
USRufnex
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:08:02 pm »

Barack Obama's foreign policy and diplomacy....

CQPolitics.com
Obama's 'Diplomacy' Wins a Republican Endorsement

By Adam Graham-Silverman, CQ Staff Wed Oct 15, 1:37 PM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20081015/pl_cq_politics/politics2975236

The ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee parted ways with his party's presidential nominee Wednesday by endorsing Democrat Barack Obama's approach to diplomacy.

In a lengthy speech at the National Defense University, Indiana Sen. Richard G. Lugar weighed the benefits of talking to foreign leaders, including U.S. enemies, against other actions, such as military force. The issue marks one of the sharpest divides between Obama and John McCain, who has called the Democratic nominee naive for suggesting that he would sit down with leaders such as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Lugar, however, praised Obama, noting that isolation often does not resolve contentious issues.

"He correctly cautions against the implication that hostile nations must be dealt with almost exclusively through isolation or military force," Lugar said in a prepared remarks released before his speech. "In some cases, refusing to talk can even be dangerous."

------------------------------------------------

Junkyard Dogs of War
By Richard G. Lugar and Barack Obama
Saturday, December 3, 2005; Page A23

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/02/AR2005120201509.html

------------------------------------------------

Last spring, Sam Nunn endorsed Barack Obama in the Democratic Primaries.... if you wonder who Dick Lugar is and wonder why he is endorsing Obama in a surprisingly close presidential race in Indiana, you heard it here first... on one of Conan's "Pravda LOVES Obama" threads...

Pravda Seems To Be Backing Obama
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9777&SearchTerms=Lugar

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

As much as I hate to get back on topic...

the Russians and their media know more about Nunn-Lugar and Lugar-Obama legislation than most Americans and American media do...

One of the untold stories of Obama's campaign (so far) is his political positioning and potential in the foreign policy arena... not surprised at all about Sam Nunn's endorsement of Obama... Nunn and Lugar go way back... and I believe Lugar will have a large influence on Obama's policies towards Russia...

(this entire article is a good read, btw... hint, hint...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-0509230360sep23,1,1485325.story?coll=chi-newsspecials-hedto

A foreign classroom for junior senator

Barack Obama tours the former Soviet Union, monitors the destruction of Cold War munitions--and takes notes from a senior statesman
By Jeff Zeleny | Tribune correspondent
September 23, 2005

quote:
Trips like this are successful if they evoke such big-picture sentiments, Lugar said, in addition to providing a "profound, gut feeling about the place of the United States in the world--strength and vulnerability."

"He has profited from it. It becomes capital in the bank, in terms of knowledge," Lugar said, reflecting on Obama's first foreign trip as a senator. "I hoped he would be on the Foreign Relations Committee. This was an important decision in shaping his career."

At the end of a 13-hour day, as Lugar settled in for an espresso in the bar of his hotel, a longtime staff member handed him a copy of a Russian newspaper that announced his arrival in Moscow. It featured an old picture of the Indiana senator's short-lived 1996 presidential campaign.

"That's for Barack," Lugar chuckled. "I'm beyond that now."

or this....

Who Is Really Going To Stop The War???
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9209&SearchTerms=Lugar

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

"Iraq is sort of a situation where you've got a guy who drove the bus into the ditch. You obviously have to get the bus out of the ditch, and that's not easy to do, although you probably should fire the driver." - Barack Obama

"In the end, no amount of American forces can solve the political differences that lie at the heart of somebody else's civil war." - Barack Obama

... ah, politics.

I think foreign policy could be his strongest suit... I'm disappointed over Hillary Clinton's surge in the polls; I fear it means she'd be able to demand the VP slot if Obama goes on to the nomination.  I kinda had hopes for an Obama/General Zinni ticket in the fall...

I could easily see an Obama administration that would include Chuck Hagel, maybe even Colin Powell... and would naturally include his mentor, Dick Lugar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE9b49qs5tE&NR=1

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:14:33 pm by USRufnex » Logged
iplaw
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:22:54 pm »

Wow. Luger is speaking highly of a Democrat.  I would have never guessed it. Next you're going to post something about Zel Miller endorsing McCain.

USRufnex
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:45:19 pm »

Keep painting yourself into a corner, Ippy...

Lugar is the Indiana version of Henry Bellmon/David Boren and he's highly respected, especially in his home state... the strength of his endorsement has the potential to tip the balance in Indiana... which would be nothing short of a miracle after the past few presidential elections in red-state Hoosierland...

http://elections.foxnews.com/candidate/dick-green-lugar/
USRufnex
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 07:05:37 pm »

Son of Buckley rears his ugly head...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-10-10/the-conservative-case-for-obama/

"I am—drum roll, please, cue trumpets—making this announcement in the cyberpages of The Daily Beast (what joy to be writing for a publication so named!) rather than in the pages of National Review, where I write the back-page column. For a reason: My colleague, the superb and very dishy Kathleen Parker, recently wrote in National Review Online a column stating what John Cleese as Basil Fawlty would call “the bleeding obvious”: namely, that Sarah Palin is an embarrassment, and a dangerous one at that. She’s not exactly alone. New York Times columnist David Brooks, who began his career at NR, just called Governor Palin “a cancer on the Republican Party.”

As for Kathleen, she has to date received 12,000 (quite literally) foam-at-the-mouth hate-emails. One correspondent, if that’s quite the right word, suggested that Kathleen’s mother should have aborted her and tossed the fetus into a Dumpster. There’s Socratic dialogue for you. Dear Pup once said to me sighfully after a right-winger who fancied himself a WFB protégé had said something transcendently and provocatively cretinous, “You know, I’ve spent my entire life time separating the Right from the kooks.” Well, the dear man did his best. At any rate, I don’t have the kidney at the moment for 12,000 emails saying how good it is he’s no longer alive to see his Judas of a son endorse for the presidency a covert Muslim who pals around with the Weather Underground. So, you’re reading it here first."

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:15:25 pm »

Totally shocked Ruf, I never saw this endorsement coming...

Who's next, Andrew Sullivan?  Oh I forgot, that conservative is already out of the Obama closet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org