A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:14:48 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Candidates Talk About PlaniTulsa at Diversity Forum  (Read 2830 times)
Bubblehead
Citizen

« on: September 21, 2009, 12:17:37 pm »

Someone in the audience at the Diversity Forum last night asked if the council candidates would support PlaniTulsa going to a vote of the people.

Councilor Bynum responded probably.
Roscoe responded yes.
Sarah Gomez responded yes for her husband.
Maria Barnes said yes.

I think the question is really a non-issue. Correct me if I am wrong but PlaniTulsa is a draft that is the basis for a new comprehensive plan for the city. It is now up to a mulitude of city entities to re-write the zoning code and make the revisions to uphold this plan. I don't really know what exactly one would vote on and when that would happen.

The good news is that all of the candidates support PlaniTulsa and the city moving forward.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:37:33 pm »

Agreed.

Why would we vote on this? We've already given it our blessing by voting for the process to be funded by the last 3rd penny sales tax package. We've taken part in the process of putting the plan together, we've filled out surveys and gone to meetings.

Tulsan's support the plan and the process...sending it to be a vote would be like asking us if we are really, really, really, really, really sure this is what we want.

If put to a vote the plan would pass, no doubt about it...but what would we do if it failed? Keep the existing plan? Pay for another go around?
OurTulsa
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »

Agreed.

Why would we vote on this? We've already given it our blessing by voting for the process to be funded by the last 3rd penny sales tax package. We've taken part in the process of putting the plan together, we've filled out surveys and gone to meetings.

Tulsan's support the plan and the process...sending it to be a vote would be like asking us if we are really, really, really, really, really sure this is what we want.

If put to a vote the plan would pass, no doubt about it...but what would we do if it failed? Keep the existing plan? Pay for another go around?

Don't be so sure that it would pass.  These things tend to get politicized to the point that if enough individuals disliked enough small parts.  I personally can't imagine what, so far, someone would really dislike about the plan but I could see small factions disliking little parts enough to throw the baby out with the bathwater and advocate the whole thing going down. 

If the vote went down that would be a mandate to do nothing and then we just wasted our time and money as a city.

I think a vote on the Comp. Plan would be a waste of time.  Our City Councilors are already going to vote on it; and they get to make modifications as they see fit...after the Planning Commission does such.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org