A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 02:18:50 pm
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383343 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2010 on: July 27, 2012, 10:01:37 am »

Typical gaspar. Let's make fun of other people.

The fellow mentioned has many other friends, including attorneys, people in the media, etc.

But gaspar just wants to post pictures of people he thinks are not like him.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2011 on: July 27, 2012, 11:53:42 am »

We know the level of violence was coordinated nationwide 

http://rt.com/usa/news/occupy-crackdown-oakland-mayor-419
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2011/11/occupy-protest-coordinate-crackdown-wall-street

but even if it weren't for the conference calls, the response was obviously disproportionate to any threat that any hippies sleeping in the park would have posed.

Since we're seeing the pictures of the point-blank sprayings again, it's worthwhile to note that there is a percentage of the population that is medically adverse to having chemical weapons forced down their sinuses.
And by adverse, I mean they die.
http://blogs.plos.org/speakeasyscience/2011/11/20/about-pepper-spray/

I wonder where the Police Executive Research Forum conferencers (and this conversation) would be now, had the law of probabilities caught up, and one of those people died from respiratory arrest?    Think they would be here in Tulsa backing up Dewey and Chuck with more of their great advice?

Society hasn't completely gone to hell, though, there are some police that have the presence of mind to say no to this foolishness:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/24/1029673/-Police-defy-governor-and-mayor-refuse-to-shut-down-Occupy-Albany

"We don't have those resources, and these people were not causing trouble," the official said. "The bottom line is the police know policing, not the governor and not the mayor."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2012 on: July 27, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »

Typical gaspar. Let's make fun of other people.

The fellow mentioned has many other friends, including attorneys, people in the media, etc.

But gaspar just wants to post pictures of people he thinks are not like him.

Not poking fun, just providing valid links and information to the group.  Those were indeed the people arrested at that event, and Daniel was indeed their organizer.

Sorry if that offends, but it is what it is.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2013 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »

Society hasn't completely gone to hell, though, there are some police that have the presence of mind to say no to this foolishness:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/24/1029673/-Police-defy-governor-and-mayor-refuse-to-shut-down-Occupy-Albany

But that's not Oklahoma...that's a more rational place.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2014 on: September 26, 2012, 02:04:41 pm »

University of California settles pepper spray suit for $1 million

(Reuters) - University officials in California have agreed to pay $1 million to settle a lawsuit over a pepper-spraying incident last year that came to symbolize law enforcement aggression against anti-Wall Street protesters, court papers filed on Wednesday showed.

Video of the confrontation, which showed seated student protesters being pepper-sprayed by campus police at the University of California campus at Davis, was played widely on television and the Internet, sparking outrage among faculty and activists.

Under the terms of the settlement, each of the 21 students and recent graduates from the campus who sued University of California regents over the November 2011 incident will receive a $30,000 payment and a personal apology from UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi

The deal also includes $250,000 in costs for plaintiffs' attorney fees. The plaintiffs were represented by the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California.

"I want the university and the police to understand what they did wrong. Police should be accountable to students," UC Davis undergraduate Ian Lee said in a statement.

In April, a scathing, 190-page report on the UC Davis confrontation criticized officers for using pepper spray to break up a peaceful demonstration and accused school administrators of bungling decisions at nearly every point leading to the incident.

The district attorney's office said last week that officers involved in the incident will not face criminal charges.

A similar lawsuit for the attack on peaceful protestors in Tulsa might prevail as well, but it would be the taxpayers footing the bill all the way.

Not surprisingly, the rest of the world may not agree with Tulsa's justifications for the use of chemical weapons:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/08/met-officer-cs-gas-protesters
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:21:20 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2015 on: September 26, 2012, 02:39:32 pm »

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #2016 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »

I bet that amount of money has Guido scratching his nuts.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2017 on: September 26, 2012, 10:06:27 pm »

I bet that amount of money has Guido scratching his nuts.

You got me on that one.  Well done.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2018 on: September 27, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »

Who do I have to scratch and where, for $1 million!!  Sooner the better....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2019 on: October 08, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »

Occupy members join police in bid to save home

ATLANTA (AP) — Eleven months after Occupy Atlanta members clashed with police in riot gear during a tense showdown in an Atlanta park, they're now drawing support from police officers in their efforts to help a longtime detective avoid losing her home to foreclosure.

Demonstrators say they'll join active and retired Atlanta police officers Monday at the Fayetteville home of retired Atlanta police Det. Jaqueline Barber. Group members say Barber was diagnosed with multiple myeloma after purchasing the home about 20 miles south of Atlanta, and now faces eviction.

Tim Franzen, one of the leaders of the group now called Occupy Our Homes ATL, says police officers are among the 99 percent of people they aim to help.

Representatives of U.S. Bank, which is involved in the foreclosure proceedings, couldn't immediately be reached.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2020 on: October 08, 2012, 02:26:04 pm »

Group members say Barber was diagnosed with multiple myeloma

That one is a particularly nasty kick in the teeth, IME.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2021 on: October 09, 2012, 07:13:45 pm »

Looks like the pee partiers are venting over an election prospect:

http://twitchy.com/2012/10/09/new-civility-obama-supporters-threaten-to-riot-if-romney-wins/

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:17:15 am by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2022 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:09 pm »

Mmm, Twitter, that fountain of rational discourse in 140 character bites.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2023 on: October 10, 2012, 12:17:05 am »

Well, if its okay to threaten to riot if Romney wins, then I guess its okay that if Romney loses a particular employer may fire his workers...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/david-siegel-email_n_1951801.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2024 on: October 10, 2012, 03:17:53 pm »

Looking at that mansion he was building, it just shows how tasteless that guy it.  If he was gonna spend that kind of money, at least get an architect to actually design the thing and put some architectural elements in it.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org