A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:38:48 pm
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383379 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1830 on: March 22, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »

I wouldn't exactly call "New Times" a coservative or right wing news source.

I have no idea.  I've given up on many of the links provided about the occupy thing.  I was throwing out the same ol' thing.  "Damned liberal press"  "Damned conservative press."

Left wingers/Right wingers

Put your left foot in, take your left foot out.  Put your right foot in, take your right foot out.

Take a few steps forward.  Now take a few steps back.

Forward, never backward.  Upward, never downward.  Constantly twirling etc.
dbacks fan
« Reply #1831 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

I have no idea.  I've given up on many of the links provided about the occupy thing.  I was throwing out the same ol' thing.  "Damned liberal press"  "Damned conservative press."

Left wingers/Right wingers

Put your left foot in, take your left foot out.  Put your right foot in, take your right foot out.

Take a few steps forward.  Now take a few steps back.

Forward, never backward.  Upward, never downward.  Constantly twirling etc.

Let's just say it's what Urban Tulsa aspires to be. Check out the classifieds from Phoenix New Times. When I lived in Phoenix it was an interesting read as opposed to the Gannett owned Arizona Republic.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1832 on: March 22, 2012, 03:04:50 pm »

Dumping a bucket of smile down a stairwell crosses political lines.  Usually.

The Occutards are not representative of any political philosophy or party except perhaps those individual politicians who have opted to adopt them.

They are more of a result. . .

This is what happens when you train a society to be dependent.  Everything from sustenance, shelter, health, education, and even defecation becomes someone else's problem.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1833 on: March 22, 2012, 03:23:45 pm »

Homeless folk calling themselves "occupiers" and the conservative press going with it again?  Right wing news agencies at it again.

You make it sound as if there’s some other sort of legitimate or official occupier.  What? Homeless people don’t count?

Why be embarrassed of some hygiene issues at these Occupy rallies?  I’m sure they are all really quite well-intentioned even if they have some potty training issues.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1834 on: March 22, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »

I’m sure they are all really quite well-intentioned even if they have some potty training issues.

Wish we could say the same thing about Oklahoma's legislative branch.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1835 on: March 22, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

Beware!

Unemployed Layabouts Announce General Strike; Sitting-Around-Collecting-Checks Industry Could Be Imperiled
Occupy, the people who have no jobs, have announced they're going to take a break from not working and go on strike from not working, which, logically speaking, should mean they'll in fact start working.

But it doesn't, and it won't.

Occupy Wall Street, largely forgotten over the last few months, aims to make a comeback from this winter’s hibernation with an ambitious plan: a crippling May Day “general strike” in the tradition of 1930s radicalism.
The grand promise is what one occupier, Brendan Burke, described to BuzzFeed as “a day without the 99%.” But in the city where the movement was born, it’s already suffering from what has emerged as one of Occupy’s signal weaknesses, the lack of ability or interest to make alliances with liberal institutions. Despite public solidarity, there’s little relationship between the Occupy movement and organized labor. And as a result, even the most progressive New York labor leaders say their members will not participate in the May 1 strike…

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/occupy-wall-street-plans-general-strike

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1836 on: March 22, 2012, 04:06:27 pm »

I believe sympathy strikes are illegal under the NLRA, so it's no wonder that "even the most progressive" unions are not up for one. I do appreciate the attempts to muddy the waters, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1837 on: March 23, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

Occupy Wall Street, largely forgotten over the last few months, aims to make a comeback from this winter’s hibernation with an ambitious plan: a crippling May Day “general strike” in the tradition of 1930s radicalism.
T

Now that I know how young you are, it explains the complete and total lack of any sense of history.  Gotta love it when people protesting about being machine gunned by hired goons and the US military is "1930's radicalism....

Were you one of the lucky ones to be home "schooled"??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1838 on: March 23, 2012, 11:50:21 am »

Now that I know how young you are, it explains the complete and total lack of any sense of history.  Gotta love it when people protesting about being machine gunned by hired goons and the US military is "1930's radicalism....

Were you one of the lucky ones to be home "schooled"??

Just for my own vanity. . .how old do you think I am?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1839 on: March 23, 2012, 11:59:09 am »

Just for my own vanity. . .how old do you think I am?

If that picture you posted is yours, I would guess just under 55.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #1840 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »

Are you serious?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1841 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:57 pm »

Well that's an excellent guess.  I suppose that disqualifies me for political discussion?  Wink

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1842 on: March 23, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »

Beware!

Unemployed Layabouts Announce General Strike; Sitting-Around-Collecting-Checks Industry Could Be Imperiled
Occupy, the people who have no jobs, have announced they're going to take a break from not working and go on strike from not working, which, logically speaking, should mean they'll in fact start working.

But it doesn't, and it won't.

The grand promise is what one occupier, Brendan Burke, described to BuzzFeed as “a day without the 99%.” But in the city where the movement was born, it’s already suffering from what has emerged as one of Occupy’s signal weaknesses, the lack of ability or interest to make alliances with liberal institutions. Despite public solidarity, there’s little relationship between the Occupy movement and organized labor. And as a result, even the most progressive New York labor leaders say their members will not participate in the May 1 strike…

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/occupy-wall-street-plans-general-strike

I still maintain that's what's most interesting about Occupy is the extent to which it's resisting 1) creating more than a rudimentary leadership structure and 2) allying with anyone at all that might be simpatico.  Aside from all the hippy-punching in this thread (ahem, Guido), I think it's clear that Occupy is a compelling idea for good segment of the country.  It's interesting but imperfect but still interesting.  And it has succeeded in doing what the Democratic Party hasn't in years -- come up with excellent marketing.  That 99% thing is as good a piece of propaganda as I've seen in a long time -- certainly as good as anything dreamed up in the basement of the Heritage Foundation, and it's succeeded in reframing the economic debate to a huge degree.  Again, this is something the Dems have been congenitally unable to do, and so in some ways it's very interesting to see the power structure on the left get punk'd by grassroots, crowdsourced ideas. 

But crowdsourcing takes you only so far.  Your strength -- reliance on the power of the crowd for ideas and execution -- also means that a traditional leadership structure will stifle innovation.  And OWS, by all accounts, is completely allergic to being led.  And that's going to keep them from participating in the political realm more than they have to date.  The Tea Party did some early selling out and got money and organization from some old GOP hands; that allowed a wave of Tea Partiers to actually get into office in 2010.  OWS is explicitly NOT taking that route and unless they stumble across money, connections, and an election organization lying under a tree somewhere, they're going to be kept out of electoral politics, and most of their specific demands are also going to remain on the sidelines. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1843 on: March 23, 2012, 01:08:34 pm »

Great marketing?  Serious?  The “99%" and “1%" are nothing but new jargon in the far left’s class warfare.

Great marketing would dispel the image that the Occutards are a bunch of poo-flinging slackers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1844 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:32 pm »

Great marketing?  Serious?  The “99%" and “1%" are nothing but new jargon in the far left’s class warfare.

What's the moderate's jargon?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org