A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:47:16 am
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383303 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1515 on: December 05, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »

Both sides have sold out regular citizens for decades, and I don't see it changing much, when you have these people writing laws to give themselves privilege.  Human nature hard at work.

Even people who havent been paying attention to the OWS are aware that it's something that scares the government so much that they have to ruthlessly oppress it.
God, I love it when everything in life can be distilled down to a clip from Airplane or Monty Python...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1516 on: December 05, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

"How many rapes, deaths, and everything else occurred at tea parties?"

Don't they save that for their cross-lighting ceremonies?

And that was just the cops!

Man, I can't believe you let that one slip by unattended...  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1517 on: December 05, 2011, 02:22:07 pm »

The whole thing got a bit distasteful for me when rapes, deaths, drug overdoses, theft, vandalism, and whatever other crimes committed by, lemme guess, just the fringe, started occurring on a regular basis.

How did we get from Occupy off onto the topic of Barry Switzer football???

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1518 on: December 05, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »

Even people who havent been paying attention to the OWS are aware that it's something that scares the government so much that they have to ruthlessly oppress it.
God, I love it when everything in life can be distilled down to a clip from Airplane or Monty Python...

Me too!  I had forgotten that!  I must get the DVD!!!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1519 on: December 05, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY[/youtube]

I don't see the oppression.  In fact, I see the opposite when a fair comparison is made.

Any other event (Tea Party included): required to purchase a permit, submit site plans outlining any structure, necessary facilities for waste removal, restrooms, and utility requirements, if any. Many postponed due to delays in permitting. Violation of permit results in expulsion from property, fines, and possibly arrest.  Any event on public or private property requires such permits.  NYC requires a myriad of permits for special use.  Groups in violation are subject to immediate arrest in the city of New York.

Occupy Wall Street:  Not even the $15 special event permit filed.  Over $13 million in expense to the city for everything from security to trash and feces removal.  Event was held on private property.  Normally, the city would go after the property owners, Brookfield, unless they claim that the group was squatting, which they have not. Diana Taylor, Mayor Bloomberg's girlfriend/domestic partner, sits on the board of Brookfield, so it's obvious why the city is going to let the taxpayers pay the OWS bill rather than Brookfield.  Brookfield is also party to $170 million in stimulus money from the DOE this year, to build a wind farm in New Hampshire, so one way or another the tax payers are the ones getting stiffed with the OWS bill.

So if anything, I see a lack of the typical oppressive policies that local governments use to control assembly to avoid infringement on the rights of the public.  The fact that the negligence in enforcement of the law resulted in rape, assault, battery, larceny, vandalism, littering, numerous health violations, and the dumping of hazardous materials, should open up Mayor Bloomberg to quite a bit of legal action on the part of any of the protesters who's rights were violated, as well as any other citizen or business who lost income as a result.

Gueed?  Your take?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1520 on: December 05, 2011, 05:34:14 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ZcAHqc5lBw[/youtube]

don't say capitalism....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1521 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ZcAHqc5lBw[/youtube]

don't say capitalism....

Tsk, tsk.  Making fun of bald people in the first :30

Capitalism!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #1522 on: December 05, 2011, 11:48:37 pm »

I just love it!!  This whole thread, the OWS people, guido and gaspar's reactions...even the tea baggers bring something to the table.  It has been very entertaining, and has caused a whole lot of thought by the people here (even if some of it IS wrongheaded, guido....) which is just great!!

I think it's the longest common thread ever at TNF.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1523 on: December 06, 2011, 12:23:41 am »

So what's the longest uncommon thread?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1524 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:28 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X1IL6r_Sizs[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #1525 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:33 am »

^ wow.....couldn't find real people to do this so they had to fictionalize it?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_rsBSLRD0bM[/youtube]

at least the %99 have puppets.....
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1526 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:16 pm »

at least the %99 have puppets.....

Oh, the 1% elite has puppets too.  They're called the Republican Party and Fox News.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #1527 on: December 07, 2011, 02:00:58 am »

Oh, the 1% elite has puppets too.  They're called the Republican Party and Fox News.

KaChing! +1

Families Join the Occupy Movement as the 99 Percent Takes On the Housing Crisis

http://www.truth-out.org/families-join-occupy-movement-99-percent-takes-housing-crisis/1323206220

"On Tuesday, the Occupy Our Homes national day of action against foreclosure saw home occupations, civil disobedience actions and community events in more than 20 cities, reflecting a shift in focus from tent cities to local neighborhoods. "

"Occupy til I come...." JC Shocked
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:09:02 am by Teatownclown » Logged
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #1528 on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »

Occupy the Police State

http://www.truth-out.org/occupy-police-state/1323354633

"We don't want a government that is representative of the one percent," Kolin said. "But the silence by this administration speaks volumes and indicates, to me, that this is a movement the government wants to crush."

I guess that puts some of you over on Obama's side on this issue but don't say anything. We know you're hypocrites too.....
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1529 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »

[quote ]

"We don't want a government that is representative of the one percent," Kolin said. "But the silence by this administration speaks volumes and indicates, to me, that this is a movement the government wants to crush."

[/quote]

I'd say that's incorrect.  I'd say the President and Dems want to harness the movement but aren't sure how to do it. 

Because each Occupy group is local, it's the local and state governments that wish the movement would dry up and blow away. 
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org