A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:00:20 pm
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383375 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1500 on: December 05, 2011, 12:12:04 pm »

I thought Taco Mayo was the official Mexican food spokesman?

According to friends who moved away it's Bueno.  Nothing compares to Bueno and QT when you leave our area.

Taco Mayo is not very good IMO.

The pages and pages on this subject (OWS) from a bunch of us, about which we know very little, is impressive.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1501 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:30 pm »

The pages and pages on this subject (OWS) from a bunch of us, about which we know very little, is impressive.

It took me about 50 pages to realize that it wasn't just Guido's personalized youtube channel.
dbacks fan
« Reply #1502 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:17 pm »

1.  Bring back Glass Steagall

I brought this up 76 pages back:

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=18181.msg214232#msg214232
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1503 on: December 05, 2011, 12:19:16 pm »

I brought this up 76 pages back:

Good follow up.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1504 on: December 05, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »

See there?  Something you and the Occupy folks agree on!  Will wonders never cease!
dbacks fan
« Reply #1505 on: December 05, 2011, 12:23:26 pm »

According to friends who moved away it's Bueno.  Nothing compares to Bueno and QT when you leave our area.

Taco Mayo is not very good IMO.

Taco Mayo, how do they stay in business? Are they still the cheapest in town? I went there a few times several years ago when money was tight for me, but I never thought they would still be there now.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1506 on: December 05, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »

I just love it!!  This whole thread, the OWS people, guido and gaspar's reactions...even the tea baggers bring something to the table.  It has been very entertaining, and has caused a whole lot of thought by the people here (even if some of it IS wrongheaded, guido....) which is just great!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1507 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »

Taco Mayo, how do they stay in business? Are they still the cheapest in town? I went there a few times several years ago when money was tight for me, but I never thought they would still be there now.

Tells you there are a lot of poor people in town.  That's all they can afford.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacks fan
« Reply #1508 on: December 05, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »

See there?  Something you and the Occupy folks agree on!  Will wonders never cease!

Yes there are some things I agree with, just not necessarily the method. And I think that alot of their occupy protests got over run with mob mentality people that had no stake in the game.

And as for Glass Stegall, I've been for changing that for the last three or four years. Did H&R Block really need to get into the mortgage business? Do we really need people trading currencies and stocks in their pj's?  
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1509 on: December 05, 2011, 12:30:11 pm »

Been there once.  It tasted like a salt lick...even the root beer.
dbacks fan
« Reply #1510 on: December 05, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »

This is who I think of when I see all the commercials for being a trader at home. His business model was so good, he hung himself while in jail on fraud charges.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubCkCAEiDQ[/youtube]

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20114700-10391698.html
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:37:56 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1511 on: December 05, 2011, 12:37:51 pm »

I'm not sure how out of the mainstream OWS really is.  Their methods may be controversial (just as the Tea Party's were), but there're some imminently reasonable demands:

1.  Bring back Glass Steagall
2.  Audit the bailed-out banks
3.  Overturn Citizens United
4.  Regulate High Frequency Trading
5.  End 'revolving door' politics
6.  Enforce the Volker Rule

etc.

I've cherry-picked a bit, but not radically.  The other things on the list are all of a piece.  Even here on this forum, many of us have agreed in separate conversations that these are important reforms.  Interestingly, there's not a bit of redistribution among them.

Obviously in the different Occupations there're going to be city-specific and group-specific demands.  So yeah, if you want to selectively edit your viewing and reportage to include only the radical commies, you're going to be able to do that.  Most of the rightie media has chosen to support that frame as well (quite obviously).  But choosing to use just those information channels, however, to evaluate a group that 1) doesn't use those channels and 2) is opposed to those channels almost guarantees that you'll get an incomplete view.  And I think you're getting an incomplete view. 

You have cherry picked.  You've plucked out the standard liberal jewels.  This is what you stand for, not what OWS stands for.  This is simply a list put together by a website designer from San Francisco.  I even agree with #2, in fact I think it should a given that ANY company willing to accept a government bailout or even payment in the form of stimulus cash should first submit to a full audit!!!!!  That would have saved us a pantload!

I concede that there is quite a lot that can be plucked out of the OWS noise, however the "reasonable demands" above do not represent the majority of the music.  Besides that, we are not a country of "demands."  Nicole's site is very good to frame the conversation with the idea that "we do not make demands" and offer these items as "suggestions."  I like that because it opens up dialogue and gives policy makers and candidates the ability to adopt these positions without being seen as complying with demands.  

So We vs us, for this OWS thing to become an actual political movement, a candidate would need to emerge from some party that will satisfy the desire of the mob.  The six items above, may seem reasonable, but the 100 other demands will serve to divorce that candidate from being viable.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1512 on: December 05, 2011, 12:53:28 pm »

It took me about 50 pages to realize that it wasn't just Guido's personalized youtube channel.

Oh I'm so sorry that I made fun of your little whiner conventions. The whole thing got a bit distasteful for me when rapes, deaths, drug overdoses, theft, vandalism, and whatever other crimes committed by, lemme guess, just the fringe, started occurring on a regular basis. Remember, this is a compare and contrast thread. How many rapes, deaths, and everything else occurred at tea parties?  

And it's a shame there are 50 pages worth of material out there of this freak show and the losers who are attending it. What is truly sad is that you really think the opinions of some twenty something with little to no job history, probably pays nickels on every dollar even you pay in taxes, and never started a business should be taken seriously when it comes to job creation or how businesses are operated? These are your icons?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1513 on: December 05, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

Oh I'm so sorry that I made fun of your little whiner conventions. The whole thing got a bit distasteful for me when rapes, deaths, drug overdoses, theft, vandalism, and whatever other crimes committed by, lemme guess, just the fringe, started occurring on a regular basis. Remember, this is a compare and contrast thread. How many rapes, deaths, and everything else occurred at tea parties?  

And it's a shame there are 50 pages worth of material out there of this freak show and the losers who are attending it. What is truly sad is that you really think the opinions of some twenty something with little to no job history, probably pays nickels on every dollar even you pay in taxes, and never started a business should be taken seriously when it comes to job creation or how businesses are operated? These are your icons?

. . . and it took me another 25 to get past some of your scary rants about losers and hippies.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1514 on: December 05, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »

How many rapes, deaths, and everything else occurred at tea parties?  

Don't they save that for their cross-lighting ceremonies?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org