A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:13:55 pm
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383304 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #750 on: October 31, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »

OWS is blowing police budgets across the country

Remember when the Boston bomb squad spent $2 Million blowing up these things?  To be fair, the pricetag also includes them blowing up other things like traffic counters and other suspicious items around the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

The point is, the protestors aren't in control of how various government agencies squander tax money "responding" to lawful activities.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:33:39 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #751 on: October 31, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »

The point is, the protestors aren't in control of how various government agencies squander tax money "responding" to lawful activities.

That's complete BS. OWS created the frakkin circumstances that warranted the government's response.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #752 on: October 31, 2011, 02:44:30 pm »

That's complete BS. OWS created the frakkin circumstances that warranted the government's response.

How much do you think the Tea Party protests cost?  Because if we're totalling up for man hours lost, I'd sure love to see some some cabbage from them for exercising their rights, too. 

The tree of liberty may need to be watered, but it also has to pay overtime, yo.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #753 on: October 31, 2011, 03:11:14 pm »

The tree of liberty may need to be watered, but it also has to pay overtime, yo.

Maybe if there were some port-a-johns they wouldn't keep watering it.

I heard the Occupy Tulsa referred to as a "tent city". Classic.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #754 on: October 31, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »

How much do you think the Tea Party protests cost?  Because if we're totalling up for man hours lost, I'd sure love to see some some cabbage from them for exercising their rights, too. 

I would too.  They paid permits for many of the same places that OWS "occupies" for free.  They arranged for trash, and porta-potties.  OWS has filled the public trash cans in the park and local businesses with feces and bottles of urine.  The Tea-Party rented portable barricades and hired security guards.  Local law enforcement was responsible for OWS barricades and security.

I think that would be a comparison worth investigating.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #755 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:00 pm »

I would too.  They paid permits for many of the same places that OWS "occupies" for free.  They arranged for trash, and porta-potties.  OWS has filled the public trash cans in the park and local businesses with feces and bottles of urine.  The Tea-Party rented portable barricades and hired security guards.  Local law enforcement was responsible for OWS barricades and security.

I think that would be a comparison worth investigating.

Difference is that the TPM had monied backers, OWS is a bunch of slacker hippies that choose to sit in a park rather than working (according to gweedo). 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #756 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:23 pm »

Money well spent in Nate's world. I wonder how many teachers that money could have been used to hire. Oh wait, that's the OWS meme.

If the police feel the need to have hundreds of officers standing around at all times, that's their own problem. If they didn't do that for the TP protests, why are they doing it here? But yeah, of all the things we can spend our money on, this isn't one I'm going to have a big problem with. As you might expect, I'm more concerned by the trillions wasted in Iraq. Forgo one war like that and we can afford to provide security for a thousand years of protesting.

It strikes me as more than a little odd that in your mind there was money for the Iraq debacle which only weakened our position, but none for our fundamental rights.

Gassy, in the main, OWS has tried to arrange for porta potties. Unfortunately, police departments won't let them have them. Go figure. Also, I would like some documentation of your assertions that early TP protests (pre-corporate-funding) did any of the things you assert.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #757 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »

Difference is that the TPM had monied backers, OWS is a bunch of slacker hippies that choose to sit in a park rather than working (according to gweedo). 

Stole the words from me...not difficult to get the word out either when you have Koch and Ailes/Murdoch backing you..

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #758 on: October 31, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »

TP protests lasted what, a day? An afternoon? They didn't occupy public parks for days on end IIRC. TP protest and rallies were planned, they spoke their greivances, and then moved on to work on their plans for voting for political change, which they acheived.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #759 on: October 31, 2011, 04:19:13 pm »

TP protests lasted what, a day? An afternoon? They didn't occupy public parks for days on end IIRC. TP protest and rallies were planned, they spoke their greivances, and then moved on to work on their plans for voting for political change, which they acheived.

They didn't have to.  For a group who claimed to be 'grass roots', they sure weren't.  Like when Fox advertised the 'take back America' thing or whatever it was.

I don't really have a dog in this race,  so to speak.  But I do find it hilarious how the righties talk down on this group for the exact reasons they (inaccurately) talked up the tea party.  Because they're a grassroots movement.  Why do you guys hate them so much.  They're exercising their 1st amendment right to peacefully assemble (where possible).  You should be proud they haven't filed permits.  Isn't that 'big gubmint' sticking their nose where it isn't wanted...oh, wait, I'm sorry....that only applies when talking about the movement from the righties.  Got it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #760 on: October 31, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »

They have the right to assemble and protest, yes, does that give them the right to not abide by the laws applicable to where they are protesting, no. I don't care who or what you protest you have the right to, but it is also your responsibilty to abide by the laws.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #761 on: October 31, 2011, 05:05:08 pm »

OWS is a bunch of slacker hippies that choose to sit in a park rather than working (according to gweedo). 

Now you are getting it.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #762 on: October 31, 2011, 05:14:28 pm »

Now you are getting it.

I think it's funny that you think that the unemployed are all just too lazy to get a job.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #763 on: October 31, 2011, 07:19:22 pm »

Video of man that was found dead at Occupy OKC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lBrEgGBMGXk#![/youtube]

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #764 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »

I think it's funny that you think that the unemployed are all just too lazy to get a job.

I think it's funny also. Instead of looking for work, the unemployed OWS are camping out and b!tching why they are not working.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org