A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:26:06 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383427 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2011, 12:30:03 pm »

I don't see racial bias in either movement.

The Tea Party are emotional conservatives, angry because the resources of working people are being diverted to subsidize _______.  They admire  capitalism as a means to create wealth because it offers opportunity to those willing to take risk.

The Occupiers are emotional liberals, angry because they want more resources diverted to subsidize _______.  They despise capitalism as a means to create wealth because it does not provide security.

Liberals like to hang the racist label on the Tea Party because it makes it look big and evil.  You can bet your bottom dollar that if Herman Cain starts looking like a real threat, they will somehow cobble together that he's racist. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »

Liberals like to hang the racist label on the Tea Party because it makes it look big and evil.  You can bet your bottom dollar that if Herman Cain starts looking like a real threat, they will somehow cobble together that he's racist. 

Already are.  Al Sharpton spent his whole show on Friday talking about how Herman Cain is not really black.  He basically classified him as an "Uncle Tom" without using those terms.  Today he is addressing the OWS crowd with the same message.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacks fan
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »

OWS sounds like a wonderful experience.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/increasingly-debauched-are-sex-drugs-poor-sanitation-eclipsing-occupy-wall-street/
dbacks fan
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2011, 01:24:34 pm »

Already are.  Al Sharpton spent his whole show on Friday talking about how Herman Cain is not really black.  He basically classified him as an "Uncle Tom" without using those terms.  Today he is addressing the OWS crowd with the same message.

Not really a fan of The Blaze but found this interesting:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/al-sharpton-debates-whether-herman-cain-is-authentically-black/
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

I don't see racial bias in either movement.

The Tea Party are emotional conservatives, angry because the resources of working people are being diverted to subsidize _______.  They admire  capitalism as a means to create wealth because it offers opportunity to those willing to take risk.

The Occupiers are emotional liberals, angry because they want more resources diverted to subsidize _______.  They despise capitalism as a means to create wealth because it does not provide security.

I see it this way:
The Tea Party (the original Teaparty not whatever they've morphed into)  are conservatives that dislike taxes. They want the government to provide governmental services using less tax payer money and less waste and they want the goverment to divest and privatize as much as possible. For example moving welfare services to churches, schools to charter, roads to for-profit toll.

The occupy people are liberals that are upset that big business could take the US (and arguably the world) to the brink of financial collapse, be bailed out and suffer no consequences (in fact its BAU paying bonuses with bail out money), while millions of Americans were put out of work or never had the opportunity for work even though they followed the American rules for success and racked up large student loan debts.

Both of these groups feel that the political system has failed them, both have validity to their points of view.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2011, 01:52:08 pm »

I see it this way:
The Tea Party (the original Teaparty not whatever they've morphed into)  are conservatives that dislike taxes. They want the government to provide governmental services using less tax payer money and less waste and they want the goverment to divest and privatize as much as possible. For example moving welfare services to churches, schools to charter, roads to for-profit toll.

The occupy people are liberals that are upset that big business could take the US (and arguably the world) to the brink of financial collapse, be bailed out and suffer no consequences (in fact its BAU paying bonuses with bail out money), while millions of Americans were put out of work or never had the opportunity for work even though they followed the American rules for success and racked up large student loan debts.

Both of these groups feel that the political system has failed them, both have validity to their points of view.

+1.

I realized that I've always thought that the Tea Party was explicitly motivated by economic concerns but as you point out that's not actually true.  It's been specifically about size of government. OWS, on the other hand, is obviously about economics.
dbacks fan
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

From the New York Times:
The Tea Party, for all its apparent populism, revolves around a vision of power and how to attain it. Tea Partiers tend to be white, male, Republican, graying, married and comfortable; the political system once worked for them, and they think it can be made to do so again. They revile government, but they adore hierarchy and order. Not for them the tents and untucked shirts, the tattoos, piercings and dreadlocks that are eye candy for lazy journalists. (“Am I dressed too nice so the media doesn’t interview me?” read one Occupy Wall Street demonstrator’s sign.)

This new protest style is more Rousseau than Marx. What the Zuccotti Park encampment calls horizontal democracy is spunky, polymorphic, energetic, theatrical, scattered and droll. An early poster showed a ballerina poised gingerly on the back of Wall Street’s bull sculpture, bearing the words: “Occupy Wall Street. September 17th. Bring Tent.” It likes government more than corporations, but its own style is hardly governmental. It tends to care about process more than results.

And oh, how it loves to talk. It is no surprise that it makes fervent use of the technologies of horizontal communication, of Facebook and Twitter, though the instinct predated — perhaps prefigured — those tools. Not coincidentally, this was also the spirit of the more or less leaderless, partyless revolutions of Tunisia and Egypt that are claimed as inspiration in Lower Manhattan. An “American Autumn” is their shot at an echo of the “Arab Spring.”

OCCUPY Wall Street, then, emanates from a culture — strictly speaking, a counterculture — that is diametrically opposed to Tea Party discipline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/opinion/sunday/occupy-wall-street-and-the-tea-party.html?pagewanted=1&sq=Occupy Wall Street&st=cse&scp=4

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2011, 02:12:54 pm »

+1.

I realized that I've always thought that the Tea Party was explicitly motivated by economic concerns but as you point out that's not actually true.  It's been specifically about size of government. OWS, on the other hand, is obviously about economics.

I would have to agree, and I would add that in both movements there is only a very small percentage of the group that actually understands why they are there.  The rest are simply looking for something to follow.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

We are the 53%:

http://the53.tumblr.com/page/2

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

I doubt us 53% have much time to protest.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2011, 03:32:04 pm »

I would have to agree, and I would add that in both movements there is only a very small percentage of the group that actually understands why they are there.  The rest are simply looking for something to follow.

That would probably be the kids this protestor is talking about (from DBack's cite from The Blaze)

While many have praised the protesters as young people who have little means and who have fallen victim to a down economy, Andre, a 40-year-old activist, says, “Most of the kids are trust-fund babies. They don’t need to be here.” He continues, “I’ve seen some making out, having sex. It doesn’t look good.”

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2011, 03:32:18 pm »

I doubt us 53% have much time to protest.

Or would want to sleep on the streets in NY.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2011, 03:50:51 pm »

Or would want to sleep on the streets in NY. of most major American cities.

You all seem to have an issue with civil disobedience.

Again, this is not an answer to bullies and corporate pawns but more a ground swell of frustration from those that need a hand up.

The Dims are not likely to embrace the WSO in any way shape or manner like the GOP has Teabaaging.

dbacks fan
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:26 pm »

You all seem to have an issue with civil disobedience.

Again, this is not an answer to bullies and corporate pawns but more a ground swell of frustration from those that need a hand up.

The Dims are not likely to embrace the WSO in any way shape or manner like the GOP has Teabaaging.

Are you related to saurkraut? My response was on a discussion of the Wall Street Occupation, so thanks for fixing something that didn't need fixing.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2011, 04:04:04 pm »

I don't see racial bias in either movement because I'm blinded.

The Tea Party are emotional conservatives, angry because the resources of working people are being diverted to subsidize policies and laws they don't value _______.  They admire  capitalism as a means to create wealth because it offers opportunity to those willing to take risk who have the existing resources to invest.

The Occupiers are emotional liberals progressives, angry because they want need more resources diverted budgeted to subsidize for social services_______.  They despise war and capitalism run a muck  as a means to create elitist wealth because it does not provide security fairness and a level playing field.

Tried to fix that but some things you can't fix....
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org