A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:32:58 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:20:10 am 
Started by patric - Last post by patric

There are a lot of factors in Tesla's control and a lot that aren't and they are all not working in Tesla's favor. Tesla needs an extremely dynamic CEO to lead the company through this and Musk, no matter how much he puffs himself up, is not it. I honestly think their days as an independent automaker are numbered.

Yet Musk gleefully supports the man that would destroy Tesla. Go figure...

As Donald Trump sat with some of the country’s top oil executives at his Mar-a-Lago Club last month, one executive complained about how they continued to face burdensome environmental regulations despite spending $400 million to lobby the Biden administration in the last year.

Trump’s response stunned several of the executives in the room overlooking the ocean: You all are wealthy enough, he said, that you should raise $1 billion to return me to the White House. At the dinner, he vowed to immediately reverse dozens of President Biden’s environmental rules and policies and stop new ones from being enacted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/05/09/trump-oil-industry-campaign-money/?gaa_at=la&gaa_n=ARTJ-U_GdWdEktgBHSI9c2fhv8i9mnrFhDVFNEfCjIV6EMzzh8L-fhfbKHy-q1XpZ83YYDYOR9X1Pw%3D%3D&gaa_ts=663ce547&gaa_sig=EE7Azd0cIU6mfM4ZC16Ly4svvozg6mW8n4BaT477nVo8ZDofHFruxrfT2iqXp1L2FeUUp83_wYrVKzoLoQZNBg%3D%3D

on: May 08, 2024, 11:19:35 am 
Started by patric - Last post by Red Arrow
FAA actually doesnt allow that. Instead UAV are required to broadcast their serial number and position from takeoff to landing using Remote ID, https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-89
Interesting.  Almost like ADS-B Out. I presume it's on an different frequency but couldn't readily see the requirements and probably wouldn't understand the government gobbledy-gook anyway.

Quote from: Red Arrow on May 07, 2024, 02:18:24 pm
As I understand it, recreational drones are limited to 400 ft AGL.  Most general aviation isn't that low.

Yes, but it happens.

Helicopters and crop dusters are generally obvious to someone keeping their UAV in sight.  Someone buzzing their house will probably put their transponder in standby, assuming they have one to begin with.  From your link above, it looks like the recreational UAV will report itself as being over 400 ft AGL using the Remote ID and drones operating under Part 91 will have ADS-B Out.

This looks interesting:
https://www.unmannedairspace.info/latest-news-and-information/dronetag-releases-drone-scanner-app-to-track-nearby-drone-flights-using-remote-id-data/

on: May 08, 2024, 10:06:50 am 
Started by LandArchPoke - Last post by patric
Interesting plans for Center of the Universe. Not sure what I think about the canopy structure I think it distracts from tower sculpture already there and just covers it up. Rest of it looks nice though - I really hope they are able to figure out how to preserve the acoustics but I'm afraid the renovations to the structure of the bridge underneath will end up damaging it.

I wish they would take the southern end of the bridge and build out a plaza in front of Union Station as well and get rid of that parking lot. Would make the walk between the Arts District and Blue Dome a lot nicer and more pleasant than the parking lot or blank walls of the Williams complex.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/center-of-the-universe-redesign-ready-for-public-input

Can leave public comments here too:

https://downtowntulsa.com/about/programs-and-initiatives/recentertheuniverse

Another variation; how could those new structures not affect the acoustics?
...and is there a contingency in case something has to be torn out to restore the effect.

on: May 08, 2024, 08:32:21 am 
Drone operators are required to yield to manned aircraft but knowing where drones are would also be useful information for manned aircraft.  Equipping all drones with ADS-B Out would evidently overload the airspace system but there is an ADS-B Out available for (I guess, larger) drones.

FAA actually doesnt allow that. Instead UAV are required to broadcast their serial number and position from takeoff to landing using Remote ID, https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-89

As I understand it, recreational drones are limited to 400 ft AGL.  Most general aviation isn't that low.

Yes, but it happens.

on: May 07, 2024, 02:18:24 pm 
Started by patric - Last post by Red Arrow
There are folks who legitimately need to know what else is in the sky, like medical life flights, media, drone operators and pretty much every general aviation pilot.
DJI Air 3 and Mavic 3 drones, for example, include an AirSense ADS-B receiver which flash a warning on your controller whenever a manned aircraft is operating nearby.

Drone operators are required to yield to manned aircraft but knowing where drones are would also be useful information for manned aircraft.  Equipping all drones with ADS-B Out would evidently overload the airspace system but there is an ADS-B Out available for (I guess, larger) drones.  
https://uavionix.com/product/ping200x/   I believe any transponder would be required for to get the biennial function check, same as transponders for manned aircraft.

Remember though that in spite of misleading information, ADS-B Out is NOT required in all airspace nor in all manned aircraft.  A lot of planes have it that don't actually need it because of the airspace they usually fly within.  
In the Tulsa area, ADS-B Out is required within a 5 mile radius of Tulsa Int'l Airport and within a 10 mile radius of TIA when above 2300 ft MSL.  ADS-B Out is not required at Tulsa Riverside Airport.  Actually, even a transponder is not required for aircraft without an engine driven electrical system.  Think J-3 Piper Cub, Taylorcraft, early Aeronca Champ and a few more I cannot think of at the moment.

on: May 07, 2024, 11:16:41 am 
Might still be squawking Modes A & C.  Tulsa Approach/Departure will know where they are with A & C, just not quite as accurate as with ADS-B.  Police probably don't want regular folks tracking them.

There are folks who legitimately need to know what else is in the sky, like medical life flights, media, drone operators and pretty much every general aviation pilot.
DJI Air 3 and Mavic 3 drones, for example, include an AirSense ADS-B receiver which flash a warning on your controller whenever a manned aircraft is operating nearby.

on: May 07, 2024, 10:43:24 am 
Started by swake - Last post by patric
Le Belle Restaurant and Events was told to leave on May 1 because they didn’t honor the lease. However, Le Belle co-owner, Tylisha Oliver-Thompson, argues that the Riverwalk Crossing didn’t honor the lease.

She said after signing the lease with OneFire — the landlords and funded by Muscogee (Creek) Nation — she discovered an inoperable commercial kitchen with severe HVAC and plumbing problems.

“We had to consistently pour thousands of dollars just for plumbing to make sure everything was brought up to speed,” she said.

Her cell phone video shows leaks and temperatures on the thermostats, ranging from 91 in the kitchen to 82 in the dining area.

She said contract warranties were not met, and what should have taken a few months to open took over a year.

Months before close, Oliver-Thompson said her costly signage was painted over and that the landlord repeatedly, proverbially “moved the goal post” on requirements.

OneFire’s CEO knew about problems when investing in the property, telling TulsaPeople in 2017 everything was “a disaster.”

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/another-riverwalk-crossing-tenant-evicted-amid-lease-disagreements

on: May 06, 2024, 12:21:41 pm 
Started by ZYX - Last post by patric

Looking at Google Maps, there are a couple of places that you could build a two story parking garage along the stretch from St. Louis to Quaker, but I can see the problem being the light pollution from a two story garage with the nearby residences.

Good shielding (eliminating the direct line-of-sight to the light source) is good practice, but that becomes harder to do when the source is greatly elevated.

Color makes a big difference because our eyes are much more sensitive to blue and green at night.
If you think PSO's bad choice of LED color is more "penetrating" than the amber hues we had before, its not your imagination.

Fortunately, amber and warm-white LEDs are just as energy efficient now as the blue-rich ones were 20 years ago when the DOE wrote the specs that PSO uses today.  Maybe some thoughtful architects and planners can help the private sector set the curve.

on: May 06, 2024, 12:15:08 pm 
Started by Jacobei - Last post by Jeff P
Yeah, I was just going off what I read. You are probably closer to the truth and I was going off urban legend on Wiki

I spent three months back in the mid 90's doing work in the tower on 43, 44 and 45 for Vintage petroleum, and noticed the slight movement from time to time. Before that in the 80's I worked for a courier company and spend a lot of time in several buildings downtown and where I noticed it most was in the freight elevator vestibules at the tower because you could hear the cables moving. The one building I seemed to notice it the most in is One Gas. It has according shaped panels in the expansion joints and you can hear them creak and kind of feel the movement.

My comment about the one for OKC was at the proposed height you would be way above Williams and even with the smaller profile the higher up the more movent that's noticeable. It was a tongue in cheek comment about need Dramamine.

Ha yeah I should have mentioned the elevators. That's definitely one of the ways you know the building is moving. On really windy days you can hear the cables clanging all the way down.

on: May 06, 2024, 11:31:28 am 
Started by swake - Last post by heironymouspasparagus
We drove thru Jenks about a week ago and see there may be some restaurants to go try!   Getting way big!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org