A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:43:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sam Kass appointed "Health food czar"  (Read 18536 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 09:24:51 am »

I just want to point out that our health problems are not entirely due to our (as in, the "typical" American) sedentary lifestyle. Stress is also a significant factor in cardiovascular problems. In some ways, it's even worse than poor diet, because it keeps your blood pressure high even when you eat well, making the fat deposits even more likely to kill you.

Stress also is a strong contributor to poor diet, both just from plain lack of time and because crappy food produces a stronger dopamine response in the brain.

So really, if we want to make our insurance companies happy, we should all demand fewer working hours and more vacation!  Grin

I agree whole-heartedly on fewer working hours.  Exercize is a great way to mitigate the effects of stress, so actually being sedentary amplifies the effects of stress.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 09:42:20 am »

Everything's a risk RW, I live my life the way I want to without fear and mange risk the best I can.  I've raced sprint cars and motorcycles, owned and flown small aircraft, I row in prairie river water, hike, ski, ride motorcycles, etc.  I do take responsibility for myself and accept the consequences of my activities good and bad.  I also do whatever I can to mitigate the risks associated with any activity I do.  Insurers take these things into account when they set insurance rates and they are far more worried about paying out claims for tobacco users and people with heart disease and type II diabetes than they are bicyclists.  Regardless, my fair share is paid on my behalf in my insurance premiums.

The point I was making is that you have repeatedly criticized people for making poor decisions about their lifestyles and thus raising our insurance rates. But you engage in an activity -- or activities, as you now acknowledge -- that are fraught with much higher risks. Isn't that hypocritical?

If you're going to truly mitigate risk to yourself, wouldn't it be sensible to simply stop an activity that's 10 times more likely to lead to death or serious injury?

Aren't risk-takers such as you are one of the reasons that insurance rates are higher?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:04 am »

I have no stress...I just don't give a damn.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 09:52:16 am »

You were the one who started the swiping talking about my cycling.  Tapping on a keyboard and 22 oz curls don't count as exercize, buddy.

It sounds like you're getting stressed. That's not healthy!!!  Cheesy
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 10:16:06 am »

I just want to point out that our health problems are not entirely due to our (as in, the "typical" American) sedentary lifestyle. Stress is also a significant factor in cardiovascular problems. In some ways, it's even worse than poor diet, because it keeps your blood pressure high even when you eat well, making the fat deposits even more likely to kill you.

Stress also is a strong contributor to poor diet, both just from plain lack of time and because crappy food produces a stronger dopamine response in the brain.

So really, if we want to make our insurance companies happy, we should all demand fewer working hours and more vacation!  Grin

Very very true.  We certain genetic predispositions that we have very little control over.  We can control that to a small degree with diet.  Everyone in my family dies in their 90's.  They were all raised on butter, drink plenty of beer and eat more salt than most.  Many have been life-long smokers.  I spent at least half my life enjoying biscuits and sausage gravy every morning for breakfast.  I eat better than that now.

My cholesterol is low, blood pressure is low and I am not overweight.

My wife is 10 years younger than me.  She has high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and is a cancer survivor.  Everyone in her family is lucky to make it to 70.  She, and her parents have watched their diets for years. 

Unless we can regulate genetics, we have far less control than we think.  Add stress and you open up an entirely new can of worms.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 10:16:19 am »

The point I was making is that you have repeatedly criticized people for making poor decisions about their lifestyles and thus raising our insurance rates. But you engage in an activity -- or activities, as you now acknowledge -- that are fraught with much higher risks. Isn't that hypocritical?

If you're going to truly mitigate risk to yourself, wouldn't it be sensible to simply stop an activity that's 10 times more likely to lead to death or serious injury?

Aren't risk-takers such as you are one of the reasons that insurance rates are higher?

You're just being a jackass now.

I had a motocross accident in 1986 which resulted in a broken hand.  My insurer at the time refused coverage so I paid, out of pocket, for surgery and all care related.  It took me about two years to pay it off, but I paid it in full.  I also was taken to the hospital as a result of a race car crash the year before, also not covered.  The ambulance was provided by the race track so I didn't incur any expense with that, but I got to pay for an ER visit and a room for the night plus whatever else they crammed into my bills.  I also paid that out of pocket.  I've paid for ongoing chiropractic care for a neck injury from a racing accident in 1992.  I don't see hypocrisy in any of that.  Please point out where there is some.

Where I'd be a hypocrite is if I engaged in being a couch jockey, hitting the drive through three times a day, smoking two packs a day, draining a 12 pack every night, and relying on fellow taxpayers to cover my health care costs or being a deadbeat and simply charging off unpaid medical bills.  I take advantage of my employer-provided health care and paid for my own health insurance for my family when I owned my own business.  Sorry RW, no hypocrisy there either.

There's study after study illustrating the increased health care costs and early on-set of aging associated with sedentary lifestyles.  I don't know why I'm repeating myself again but apparently my cycling represents far less risk to my health insurer than angioplasty, bypass surgery, prolonged cancer treatment, maintenance for diabetes, COPD, etc. 

I actually represent a far better risk to a health insurer.  And at least as of the last life insurance policy I took out, cycling was not an excluded activity, nor did they ask if I engaged in cycling.  If it ever does become an issue to get life insurance or health insurance, I will buy insurance through one of USA Cylcling's insurance partners.

Boo-yah!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31:08 am »

I had a motocross accident in 1986 which resulted in a broken hand.  My insurer at the time refused coverage so I paid, out of pocket, for surgery and all care related.  It took me about two years to pay it off, but I paid it in full.  I also was taken to the hospital as a result of a race car crash the year before, also not covered.  The ambulance was provided by the race track so I didn't incur any expense with that, but I got to pay for an ER visit and a room for the night plus whatever else they crammed into my bills.  I also paid that out of pocket.  I've paid for ongoing chiropractic care for a neck injury from a racing accident in 1992. 

Good for you. But what about later? What if you become no longer able to pay out-of-pocket and you need medical care that is related to injuries from your risk-taking? You know who's going to have to cover that, don't you?
rwarn17588
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:22 am »

Conan in 20 years ...  Cheesy

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2010, 11:14:42 am »

Good for you. But what about later? What if you become no longer able to pay out-of-pocket and you need medical care that is related to injuries from your risk-taking? You know who's going to have to cover that, don't you?

I'd be humored more if it weren't for having to already deal with the ignorant, arrogant, and outright dangerous behavior of some motorists out on the road.  I also recognize there are some jackasses out there on bikes.

Again, people with heart disease, cancer, respiratory disease, liver disease, orthopaedic problems, osteoporosis, cancer, and diabetes wind up taxing the system far more than those with cycling injuries and there's a far better chance someone my age with a sedentary lifestyle will hit the system much sooner than I will with far costlier medical problems. If that day comes for me, I will have paid into the system for about 50 years at that point, at which time I'd say I've pad my share into the system.  I've paid a healthcare premium since my first job with Federal withholding when I was 14 years old via Medicare tax, and I've never drawn a penny from it.

The health benefits do outweigh the risk for most cyclists.  If they didn't cyclists would pay more for health and life insurance premiums.  

Also interesting to note is that either drivers are becoming more bicycle aware or injuries aren't reported as frequently as they were 15 years ago, but from 1995 to 2007 annual injuries went down from 61,000 to 43,000 and deaths from 833 to 698.

http://www.bikeleague.org/media/facts/

Rwarn in 20 years:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:17:59 am by Conan71 » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:11 pm »

I also recognize there are some jackasses out there on bikes.

Do they make movies about them in other cities?

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 12:15:27 pm »

Rwarn in 20 years:

You forgot Princess Leia in a bikini.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

You forgot Princess Leia in a bikini.

She was hot back in the day

Not so much now:

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 07:49:50 am »

FYI Rwarn, my buddy who is a health insurance actuary at BCBS laughed his donkey off when I told him your premise that I represent a greater risk to a health insurer than someone who sits on their butt all day.  He also said the statistics on auto/bike accidents is absolutely meaningless in calculating health insurance rates.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org