A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:47:10 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama spending binge never happened  (Read 8621 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »

If they were to go with it, how would they explain the exploding deficit.

You mean the "exploding deficit" that is down to almost 1/2 what it was under Bush's last budget?  

He talked about that $1.9 trillion and said he would get it down to $1 trillion in his first term.  Well, he did miss it a little bit - maybe - we are on pace to be at about $1.1 trillion for this fiscal year.  That would be very close to half....just think how much better it would have been if he hadn't turned Republican...

Check the Federal Debt History site.  Enlightenment in the form of truth will hurt your head, though, so maybe better not....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 07:28:24 am »

Let's do. Because we could play the numbers game all day long.

Baseline for this exercise is FY01

Debt         Def    Def (1983 $)
FY01    5,807B      133B       75B

FY02    6,228B      421B      234B
FY03    6,783B      555B      302B
FY04    7,379B      596B      315B
FY05    7,933B      554B      283B
FY06    8,507B      574B      285B
FY07    9,008B      501B      241B
FY08   10,025B   1,017B      472B
FY09   11,909B   1,885B      879B

FY10   13,562B   1,652B      758B
FY11   14,790B   1,229B      549B

Considering the horrendous downturn in the economy we had in 2008, I don't think it is a big surprise that spending shot up (that and spend happy Dem's took over in 07). You also see the uptick after the FY01 more than likely due to mini crashes (tech & 9/11). It seems that the emergency spending always becomes permanent. Yes, it would appear that Obama has presided over a historic reduction in deficit spending (which one might attribute to the standstill in Congress due to the wave election of 2010, but who's counting), however he is still averaging more than double what Bush did over his entire Presidency and if one were to be completely honest and attribute some of FY09 to Obama's admin (as he did sign it and increase what Bush requested) the outlook would be even worse.

The admin has also made it impossible to predict the spending in the future due to the propensity to just go with continuing resolutions or omnibus spending bills. So basically, this article by nutting is using the baseline budget for Obama's spending. Of course it is going to be low.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 08:39:11 am »

Let's do. Because we could play the numbers game all day long.

Baseline for this exercise is FY01

Debt         Def    Def (1983 $)
FY01    5,807B      133B       75B

FY02    6,228B      421B      234B
FY03    6,783B      555B      302B
FY04    7,379B      596B      315B
FY05    7,933B      554B      283B
FY06    8,507B      574B      285B
FY07    9,008B      501B      241B
FY08   10,025B   1,017B      472B
FY09   11,909B   1,885B      879B

FY10   13,562B   1,652B      758B
FY11   14,790B   1,229B      549B

Considering the horrendous downturn in the economy we had in 2008, I don't think it is a big surprise that spending shot up (that and spend happy Dem's took over in 07). You also see the uptick after the FY01 more than likely due to mini crashes (tech & 9/11). It seems that the emergency spending always becomes permanent. Yes, it would appear that Obama has presided over a historic reduction in deficit spending (which one might attribute to the standstill in Congress due to the wave election of 2010, but who's counting), however he is still averaging more than double what Bush did over his entire Presidency and if one were to be completely honest and attribute some of FY09 to Obama's admin (as he did sign it and increase what Bush requested) the outlook would be even worse.

The admin has also made it impossible to predict the spending in the future due to the propensity to just go with continuing resolutions or omnibus spending bills. So basically, this article by nutting is using the baseline budget for Obama's spending. Of course it is going to be low.

The baseline is 1791.  Looks like you have the data source - Federal Debt History.

The missing part is how the spending has been dead flat for the last few years, while skyrocketing from about 1980 to 2008 - spending on, but not paying for those pesky little wars that the "you know who" are so fond of.  Table 1.1 here;
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals

Continuing resolutions are NOT made by the President - but you know that - ALL spending originates in the House.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:46:10 am »

Continuing resolutions are NOT made by the President - but you know that - ALL spending originates in the House.

I do. Throw out the dems! Seems to be working so far. Smiley

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 08:58:25 am »

Wow, really?  Gimme some of what you're smoking...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 09:21:06 am »

Really?  Your real standard of living has gone up over the last 30+ years?

(If you say yes, you are lying or a CEO.)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 09:53:14 am »

Really?  Your real standard of living has gone up over the last 30+ years?

(If you say yes, you are lying or a CEO.)

My standard of living has and I’m not a CEO.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »

Wow, really?  Gimme some of what you're smoking...

Joke, seriously?

But, in all seriousness, the timing correlates pretty well. Dems come in, deficit spending sky rockets. R's in spending def spending decreases. Coincidence, I don't know. Personally, I think the split Congress has more to do with the decrease in deficit spending than anything. That and no one could sell keeping all the bailout level spending going forever. Just a hypothesis, mind you.

And yes, the standard of living has gone up over the last 30 years. The last 5, probably not. But the last 30, definitely.

Standard of living is not strictly a measure of income you know right?

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »

And it even seems the Washington Post is backing off this one. Talk about Bizarro World.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/the-facts-about-the-growth-of-spending-under-obama/2012/05/24/gJQAIJh6nU_blog.html

Thought this info graphic was pretty good too.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

Right off the bat, the first line is bogus.

A history lesson:
The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110-185, 122 Stat. 613, enacted February 13, 2008) was an Act of Congress providing for several kinds of economic stimuli intended to boost the United States economy in 2008 and to avert a recession, or ameliorate economic conditions. The stimulus package was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 29, 2008, and in a slightly different version by the U.S. Senate on February 7, 2008. The Senate version was then approved in the House the same day.  It was signed into law on February 13, 2008 by President Bush with the support of both Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 01:03:20 pm »

And it even seems the Washington Post is backing off this one. Talk about Bizarro World.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/the-facts-about-the-growth-of-spending-under-obama/2012/05/24/gJQAIJh6nU_blog.html

Thought this info graphic was pretty good too.

Ah yes, Gaspar of Washington county....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »

You also see the uptick after the FY01 more than likely due to mini crashes (tech & 9/11).

This is a counterfactual statement sometimes advanced by Republicans. The uptick in the deficit then was due to the Bush tax cuts, two wars, a vastly enlarged security state, Medicare Part D, the second round of Bush tax cuts, and at least a hundred billion a year in illegal tax shelters that continue to this day because we don't appropriate enough money for IRS enforcement.

You may want to read David Cay Johnston's 2004 book entitled "Free Lunch" to get more information about the last bit there. It's rather informative, and makes it quite clear that both Republicans and Democrats have been dissembling on taxes since 1980. The sad thing is that most of the scams he talks about in his book are still going on today.

Edited to add: The actual deficit numbers might help. Note that FY12 is not yet complete, so it's an OMB estimate. The remainder are the actual numbers from Treasury.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:59:13 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »

Not to be picky, but fiscal year 2001 ended in June of 2001. Bush had only been in office for all of 5 1/2 months. None of that stuff you mentioned had occurred yet. And if you look at the deficit spending it stayed relatively constant until FY 2008. And everyone knows why it spiked up then.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »

Not to be picky, but fiscal year 2001 ended in June of 2001. Bush had only been in office for all of 5 1/2 months. None of that stuff you mentioned had occurred yet. And if you look at the deficit spending it stayed relatively constant until FY 2008. And everyone knows why it spiked up then.

None of that is true. The first Bush tax cuts were passed in June 2001. Refund checks were going out by July. Moreover, the federal fiscal year begins October 1st, not July 1st. And let's do look at the deficit spending record since FY00.

The deficit increased every year between 2001 and 2005, when the housing bubble spiked the economy.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »

Beat me to it erfalf on the graphic.The jobs graph is the one that stood out to me.

Analysis.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/05/24/how-to-make-obamas-spending-look-small-marketwatch-rebuttal-infographic/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org