A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:48:45 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes Fundraiser Kerfuffle  (Read 56340 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 09:33:09 am »

#3.  Once you engage, it is unethical to break that engagement.

Agree. Not only unethical, but just plain rude.

They have lost my business as well.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:50 am »

Hmm.  Last I checked, religious affiliation and discrimination therein was unlawful.

Maybe I'm wrong.

This is going to be a PR nightmare for Oklahoma Joe's.  It already is for the mothership evidently, as they were blamed from the outset until they disavowed this location.

An organization can refuse the right to affiliate with another organization based on anything.

If you are a business that sells children's toys and you offer fund-raising programs for schools and other "child-oriented" non-profit organizations, you are perfectly within your rights to refuse a fund raising partnership with the North American Man-Boy Love Association, even though they are a "child-oriented" non-profit organization.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:41 am »

Broken Arrow location, PR nightmare not so much.  Since BA is a bedroom community, I suspect church-goers would continue to support Oklahoma Joe's, perhaps more so now that there is a crap storm circulating over this.

I disagree.  I am willing to bet that no one is going to want to touch this with a 10 ft pole.  The event had already started and several people had purchased their meals under the false impression that they were supporting the group.  The proper course of action would be to pay the group for those meals purchased durring the event or at least refund the cost of the meals to the patrons.  Joe is not doing that.  That is dishonest behavior.

Joe needs to make good.  That is the only ethical course of action.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:08 am »

I suspect church-goers would continue to support Oklahoma Joe's, perhaps more so now that there is a crap storm circulating over this.

That's my guess as well.
Heck, even Guido said he'll do his best to offset any "boycott" buy supersizing his order.
Spin:   It's Oklahoma Joes that's being persecuted here, not the other way around.
Much like supporting hate groups has been the most successful campaign in Chick-Fil-Eh's history.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:56 pm »

And you can see how quick the KC "mothership" disavowed the BA location.

https://twitter.com/OklahomaJoesBBQ/status/321454373433638912

Edit: Per the missouri Oklahoma Joe's page http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/history/

The Kansas City location the co-founder bought out the guy who owns the Oklahoma locations (Joe Davidson)

So it is different ownership.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:20:40 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

I'm okay with them not wanting to sponsor the event. I think they signed off on the fundraiser without vetting the organization properly and that is their own problem.

They should agree to host a fundraiser night in the future for the same group. They will come out in a better light and the organization will raise a lot more money than they would have the first time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

I'm okay with them not wanting to sponsor the event. I think they signed off on the fundraiser without vetting the organization properly and that is their own problem.

They should agree to host a fundraiser night in the future for the same group. They will come out in a better light and the organization will raise a lot more money than they would have the first time.

That would be the mature way to handle it.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 01:46:28 pm »

I don't have the brain capacity or memory to keep track of all the affronting businesses that this or that ideology or "right thinking people" are boycotting at any given time.  My purchase decisions are mundanely made on the basis of patronizing those who have a product I want or need.  That said, if some business engages in politics or funds things with which I am strongly opposed, I tend to quietly stop doing business with them – no rally, no petition, no Facebook rants, no picketing, no rousing the rabble on street corners.

Here a business failed to properly vet a group/event it agreed to sponsor.  They've compounded their error by bungling the attempt to fix their mistake.  Hopefully they will try to make it right as best they can – although inevitably some will be upset no matter what they do now.  However, next time I'm craving the best ribs in Tulsa (sorry, Burn Co, I don't eat lunch at 10:30), I'll head out to BA and eat at Oklahoma Joe's because my love of ribs knows no political bounds.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 02:00:06 pm »

I don't have the brain capacity or memory to keep track of all the affronting businesses that this or that ideology or "right thinking people" are boycotting at any given time.  My purchase decisions are mundanely made on the basis of patronizing those who have a product I want or need.  That said, if some business engages in politics or funds things with which I am strongly opposed, I tend to quietly stop doing business with them – no rally, no petition, no Facebook rants, no picketing, no rousing the rabble on street corners.

Here a business failed to properly vet a group/event it agreed to sponsor.  They've compounded their error by bungling the attempt to fix their mistake.  Hopefully they will try to make it right as best they can – although inevitably some will be upset no matter what they do now.  However, next time I'm craving the best ribs in Tulsa (sorry, Burn Co, I don't eat lunch at 10:30), I'll head out to BA and eat at Oklahoma Joe's because my love of ribs knows no political bounds.

JMO, Albert G's is better than Oklahoma Joe's.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 02:15:38 pm »

JMO, Albert G's is better than Oklahoma Joe's.  Wink

Someday there might be an Albert G's downtown.    They got the floor poured a couple weeks ago.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:08 pm »

Someday there might be an Albert G's downtown.    They got the floor poured a couple weeks ago.

And only a year or so behind schedule.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 02:47:39 pm »

Try Back Alley again.  They have a new smoker and a new pitmaster.  Had their ribs on Friday and they were excellent, in fact, the whole meal was excellent.  Ribs, pork, beans and fried green tomatoes. Topped it off with a nice Tank 7 or three (wife was driving).

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 03:28:59 pm »

Try Back Alley again.  They have a new smoker and a new pitmaster.  Had their ribs on Friday and they were excellent, in fact, the whole meal was excellent.  Ribs, pork, beans and fried green tomatoes. Topped it off with a nice Tank 7 or three (wife was driving).

I like Back Ally, but haven't had the ribs in a while.  Will give them a try.  I think Back Ally recently introduced an all you can eat rib night (on Tuesdays?).  Uh oh.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 03:29:24 pm »

That's promising. Nice place but I didn't care for the BBQ when I went several months ago a couple of times. It had no smoke and was really fatty and greasy. I will have to try again.

The hot sauce also had no heat, has that improved?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »

Good to know.  Will try them again since you recommended it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org