A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:58:47 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4/10ths of a percent +...  (Read 2901 times)
Sangria
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:25 am »

Of cource thekids in the commercial have  a half cent - don't we all. It's the other 8.5-9.5% it gets added to I have a problem with.

At what point is too much tax?

We have:
Income tax
Social Security taken from our checks some of us will never see
Medicare taken out that we might never use.
Car Tags
Taxes on our Utilities
Property taxes
Gasoline
Sales taxes 8.5-9-5% or more in some communities.

So I ask - at what point is it too much?

When you look at 4/10ths of a percent it don't look like much. But, when you look at the REAL numbers. that half cent gets big fast.

Those kids in the commercial are too young to know about what taxes will do to their spending ability.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:54:58 am »

Most people I know outside of Tulsa pay city income tax, which we don't have. Also, our gas taxes are fairly low for the region.
Johnboy976
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:44:58 am »

Here is a direct comparison with another area of the country (at least where I live):

Car tags- Tulsa: $90-110 a year; Kentucky: $220 a year

Sales tax- Tulsa: 8.5-9.5%; Lexington: 6%

Income tax- Tulsa: no income tax in city; Lexington: city income tax of around 5-10%, varies from city to city

Social Security- federal tax... doesn't apply to sales tax hike

Medicare- same as above

Property tax- not sure the specks. My mother's property tax was actually lower (per square foot) in Tulsa than BA; percentage is slightly higher in Lexington than in Tulsa.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:59:37 am »

Given that, I much MUCH rather pay the lower sales tax rate.  Hell, if it was a choice between a 10% income tax or a 15% sales tax, I'd STILL chose the sales tax.  At least the city would not be taxing my savings, travel budget, or utility bills!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:06:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Given that, I much MUCH rather pay the lower sales tax rate.  Hell, if it was a choice between a 10% income tax or a 15% sales tax, I'd STILL chose the sales tax.  At least the city would not be taxing my savings, travel budget, or utility bills!

I wouldn't mind a city income tax instead of the 3/10ths to the city we pay now. If CoT was the only one who implemented it in the area, it would be a slap in the face to BA who would now charge sales tax around 4c higher than tulsa.
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:41:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I wouldn't mind a city income tax instead of the 3/10ths to the city we pay now. If CoT was the only one who implemented it in the area, it would be a slap in the face to BA who would now charge sales tax around 4c higher than tulsa.

Not to mention that the Broken Arrowans who work in Tulsa would have to pay the city income tax as well. I kind of like the idea.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:35:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Not to mention that the Broken Arrowans who work in Tulsa would have to pay the city income tax as well. I kind of like the idea.

<insert evil laugh here>
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:40:45 am »

Oklahoma's sales tax is sky high as it is. a little 4/10th is not much. The river is Tulsa's

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org