A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:09:25 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macy's to Open Distribution Center - 1,500 jobs  (Read 83739 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2014, 12:19:03 am »

Macy's now says they will hire 1,500 at opening and will ramp up to a total of 5,000 jobs during the Christmas season and maintain 4,000 year round.

They may not be great paying jobs, but that's a lot of jobs.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage2/owasso-official-macy-s-could-hire-up-to-for-tulsa/article_e0a18cbb-c5b8-58ea-bbc3-032d77aca2b7.html

YES!

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:43 am »

Indeed---  Thank you Mary Fallin! The only problem is I wonder  if we have enough workers in the area to fill 5,000 new jobs- Tulsa already has nearly full employment with a unemployment rate of 4.0%.. Mary Fallin brought Tulsa to much of a good thing. They say Macys will start hiring in July of 2015. I guess other big companies in the area will have to jack up their wages or risk loosing workers to Macys.. Whirlpool and the Bus Plant already have a hard time finding workers. This is how the free market works folks -get gov't out of the way and lower taxes and cut job killing regulations. Mary Fallin understands the workings of true conservatism. You don't see any companies flocking to blue democrat states do you? Michigan is still bleeding jobs after decades of democrat control.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:31 am »

It must also be remembered that with the 5,000 new Macy jobs there will be spin off jobs, more restaurants, perhaps another QT for the workers and more services. This is really great news for Tulsa! Smiley

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2014, 11:59:00 am »

Indeed---  Thank you Mary Fallin! The only problem is I wonder  if we have enough workers in the area to fill 5,000 new jobs- Tulsa already has nearly full employment with a unemployment rate of 4.0%.. Mary Fallin brought Tulsa to much of a good thing. They say Macys will start hiring in July of 2015. I guess other big companies in the area will have to jack up their wages or risk loosing workers to Macys.. Whirlpool and the Bus Plant already have a hard time finding workers. This is how the free market works folks -get gov't out of the way and lower taxes and cut job killing regulations. Mary Fallin understands the workings of true conservatism. You don't see any companies flocking to blue democrat states do you? Michigan is still bleeding jobs after decades of democrat control.

I'm sure this is all due to her inviting the Black Mass to Oklahoma.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2014, 01:01:45 pm »

You don't see any companies flocking to blue democrat states do you?

That's funny. If you ask experts, it seems most of the country is doing well on job growth. Why do you give Mary Fallin all the credit and and none to President Obama?

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/business/T019-C000-S005-economic-outlooks-by-state-2014.html

I think we all know the answer.

You are really Mary writing under a fake name. Am I right?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:24:14 pm by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

That's funny. If you ask experts, it seems most of the country is doing well on job growth. Why do you give Mary Fallin al the credit and and none to President Obama?

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/business/T019-C000-S005-economic-outlooks-by-state-2014.html

Or, he's an anonymous OHP trooper.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:33 pm »

Or, he's an anonymous OHP trooper.

Which one. The choker or the killer?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2014, 02:57:57 pm »

Which one. The choker or the killer?

Don't forget the serial rapist.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2014, 03:09:48 pm »

This is how the free market works folks -get gov't out of the way and lower taxes and cut job killing regulations. Mary Fallin understands the workings of true conservatism.

If only more people like you actually believed that.  Why aren't conservatives up in arms against the current restrictive zoning laws and regulations like, minimum parking requirements, set back requirements, height limits, laws against mixed use buildings (living over retail/restaurant, etc.) and mixed use areas, etc. etc.?  

Why are they trying to spend millions and millions on repairing a crumbling capitol building when they could spend less on a more efficient, not to mention energy efficient, office building instead? Hardly find that "true" conservative.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:02 pm »

If only more people like you actually believed that.  Why aren't conservatives up in arms against the current restrictive zoning laws and regulations like, minimum parking requirements, set back requirements, height limits, laws against mixed use buildings (living over retail/restaurant, etc.) and mixed use areas, etc. etc.?  

Why are they trying to spend millions and millions on repairing a crumbling capitol building when they could spend less on a more efficient, not to mention energy efficient, office building instead? Hardly find that "true" conservative.

Just more of those pesky inconsistencies of the extreme right.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2014, 07:57:57 pm »

YES!

So, low paying jobs are great, huh?  Just like I have said in the past....R versus D.

So, we get 5,000 low paying jobs.  To support a department store with wages in the $8 to 10 an hour.  Let's go with $10 just to cut them some slack.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Macy-s-Hourly-Pay-E1079.htm

Let's compare to Costco, shall we?  Those 5,000 jobs would be the equivalent benefit of less than half that number of Costco jobs.  So if you look at how many Costco jobs there are per store (it comes out to about 270 - based on 174,000 employees for about 650 stores), you could get the entire Macy's benefit - which is about 1,000 high for the long term.  18 Costco's in the state would go blowing by Macy's like it was sitting still.  Not only are the employees much better off - by two to one - the state is much better off due to everything from higher tax revenues to much reduced aid and subsidized costs like SNAP, welfare, etc.  It is the reality the RWRE doesn't want you to know about.

"You're doing fine Oklahoma....Oklahoma is just ok...."

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56:54 am »

So, low paying jobs are great, huh?  Just like I have said in the past....R versus D.

So, we get 5,000 low paying jobs.  To support a department store with wages in the $8 to 10 an hour.  Let's go with $10 just to cut them some slack.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Macy-s-Hourly-Pay-E1079.htm

Let's compare to Costco, shall we?  Those 5,000 jobs would be the equivalent benefit of less than half that number of Costco jobs.  So if you look at how many Costco jobs there are per store (it comes out to about 270 - based on 174,000 employees for about 650 stores), you could get the entire Macy's benefit - which is about 1,000 high for the long term.  18 Costco's in the state would go blowing by Macy's like it was sitting still.  Not only are the employees much better off - by two to one - the state is much better off due to everything from higher tax revenues to much reduced aid and subsidized costs like SNAP, welfare, etc.  It is the reality the RWRE doesn't want you to know about.

"You're doing fine Oklahoma....Oklahoma is just ok...."

The problem with your assumption is that neither Tulsa nor OKC can support more than two Costcos so there’s no relevance to your point.  Secondly, an order fulfillment center pays wages which are new money to the economy, not recirculated money like a local retail point such as Costco.  Finally, starting wage for seasonal employees (read: temporary, not destination jobs) is claimed to be around $10.50/hr by Macy’s president for logistics.  

Let’s not presume that the majority of jobs in either case is only entry level.  Macy’s also offers health and dental for full time employees and I would assume a 401K.  Costco’s starting wages are around $11.50 per hour.  That’s an average compiled nation-wide including states with higher COL than Tulsa.  I don’t suspect Costco will offer the same starting wage to an employee in Tulsa as it would to one in Irvine, Ca.

There’s also an uptick for someone currently working at Braum’s for minimum wage to improve their income.  Certainly the center doesn’t offer pay which would attract me now, but it’s definitely the sort of work I would have sought out when I was studying at TCC, or possibly even joining the management track after I was done with school.  

But I guess if someone wants to mine only negatives from new money coming to the area, that’s your prerogative.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:10:44 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2014, 09:42:00 am »

That's funny. If you ask experts, it seems most of the country is doing well on job growth. Why do you give Mary Fallin all the credit and and none to President Obama?

Obama destroys jobs his liberal policy is what killed our national economy, he's the "food stamp president". Obama's EPA kills investments and company  expansions costing jobs, high fuel costs also hurt the economy since half of our  paychecks go for gasoline and heating fuel people have little money left over to buy goods and services. When Bush left office gasoline was $1.70 a gallon, when Obama took control gasoline shot up over $3.00 a gallon and the national average never fell below the $3.00 a gallon mark. ObamaCare also destroys the economy & jobs. The open border of Obama's gives jobs to illegal aliens and drives down wages..  I'm a working stiff who punchs a time clock for a living and a strong conservative. We need someone like Mary Fallin in the white house to get our national economy back on track. Sarah Palin would also make a good president we need a solid "T" Party president. Yeah I'm a right winger. Smiley

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2014, 09:49:33 am »

Obama destroys jobs his liberal policy is what killed our national economy, he's the "food stamp president". Obama's EPA kills investments and company  expansions costing jobs, high fuel costs also hurt the economy since half of our  paychecks go for gasoline and heating fuel people have little money left over to buy goods and services. When Bush left office gasoline was $1.70 a gallon, when Obama took control gasoline shot up over $3.00 a gallon and the national average never fell below the $3.00 a gallon mark. ObamaCare also destroys the economy & jobs. The open border of Obama's gives jobs to illegal aliens and drives down wages..  I'm a working stiff who punchs a time clock for a living and a strong conservative. We need someone like Mary Fallin in the white house to get our national economy back on track. Sarah Palin would also make a good president we need a solid "T" Party president. Yeah I'm a right winger. Smiley

I had something all typed out until I realized who I was responding to.  I figured this would work better.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
saintnicster
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2014, 10:19:12 am »

sourced from http://www.GasBuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA%20Average&city2=&city3=&crude=y&tme=132&units=us, with 2 background colors added by me

Clearly Obama was the one that drove crude oil and gas prices to record highs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org